Watch CBS News

10 Sent To Hospital Due To Carbon Monoxide Leak

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) -- A carbon monoxide leak forced several families out of a northeast Minneapolis apartment building.

Ten people went to the hospital with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. No one is in serious or critical condition.

The Minneapolis Fire Department got the call for help just before 8 p.m. Saturday night at the building, located on the 1800 block of Central Avenue NE. Authorities believe a problem with the furnace caused the leak.

Diono Alvin, who lives in one of the units, said that he, his fiancé, and two daughters were just finishing dinner when his carbon monoxide alarm went off.

His entire family showed symptoms of CO poisoning. All felt dizzy or nauseated and went to the hospital where they were treated with oxygen.

Alvin said those symptoms had been ongoing for several days, but it didn't occur to him that carbon monoxide could be to blame.

The alarm, that alerted him of the problem, was installed last week. He doesn't want to think about the outcome had it not been in his apartment.

"I don't even want to think about it, because I just got that carbon monoxide detector three to four days ago. If me and my kids went to sleep, we wouldn't be here," Alvin said.

Alvin said the furnace problems are among the ongoing issues inside the apartment building.

"I expect to be safe. I feel upset. I feel frustrated. I feel very frustrated," Alvin said.

Residents have been told they can't return home until the source of the carbon monoxide leak is fixed.

A call to the landlord has not yet been returned.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.