Watch CBS News

Brooklyn Homes mass shooting: 14-year-old among two more arrested in Baltimore block party shooting

14-year-old among two more arrested in Baltimore block party shooting
14-year-old among two more arrested in Baltimore block party shooting 03:39

BALTIMORE -- An 18-year-old and a 14-year-old were arrested for their roles in Baltimore's largest mass shooting, police said on Thursday.

The July 2 shooting left 28 injured and two young people dead during the annual "Brooklyn Day" block party on Gretna Court.

Baltimore authorities and the ATF held a joint press conference Thursday where they said that while two were arrested, the investigation is not complete.

"This investigation is not ending anytime soon," Baltimore Police Acting Commissioner Richard Worley said. "We are continuing to work with our community, our law enforcement partners and those standing behind me here today. We will tirelessly follow every piece of evidence, every tool in our tool belt will be used to identify and apprehend those responsible for this horrific and tragic incident."

Police said 18-year-old Aaron Brown is facing 75 charges. He was already in police custody on unrelated charges, Worley said.


The 14-year-old, facing 18 charges, was taken into custody at a local school. 

A source told WJZ that the 14-year-old was arrested without incident at Patterson High School.

It's still to be determined if the 14-year-old will be charged as an adult, according to police.

The charges include conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, and multiple attempted first-degree murder charges.

"Beginning to heal the trauma of this horrific mass shooting is going to require accountability," said Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott. "Today, with these arrests, we take one step closer to holding those who made the reckless decision to pull the trigger without any regard to the lives around them accountable. Every day, detectives and our partners at the federal level have been pursuing this investigation tirelessly and with the utmost diligence. The work continues and will not slow down until we've gotten justice for this community, for these families, and for our entire city. We are continuing to wrap our arms around every single person who has felt the devastating impact of this tragedy, and work toward building a safer Baltimore."  

According to charging documents, Brown, who had been shot during the block party, was also facing attempted first-degree murder charges in connection with a separate incident.

Charging documents show that police filed multiple charges against Brown for allegedly trying to shoot another person in the 4600 block of Harford Road on May 19.

The bullets Brown fired didn't strike their intended target, though. Instead, they struck a car and the glass windows of a business called Farm to Face Cafe, according to the charging documents.

That storefront business has since closed, according to the company's website.

"Our detectives continue to work around the clock to follow up on investigations and bring those who committed the crimes in our city to justice," Worley said.

Police said they are still searching for at least six more suspects.

Hundreds attended the community's annual block party when shots were fired.

Aaliyah Gonzalez, 18, and 20-year-old Kylis Fagbemi were killed in the shooting, while 28 others between the ages of 13 and 32 were injured.

On Wednesday, Baltimore City released a 173-page after-action report that detailed police response, including heroism by officers who saved lives, as well as failure to properly respond to the city's largest-ever mass shooting.

WJZ reported on the "Heroes of Harbor Hospital" for treating 19 patients during the "organized chaos."

Police also released this police body-worn camera video. That showed officers providing aid for victims. 

The report also documented failures to properly respond to the large, unpermitted event until it was too late, including warnings that it was turning out of control.

The combined report can be found here

Officials also announced on Wednesday that a reward for arrests had increased to $88,000.

 On August 17, police arrested 18-year-old Tristan Brian Jackson and charged him with seven counts of conspiracy to commit first-degree murder, seven counts of attempted first-degree murder, and 41 other related charges.

Charging documents obtained by WJZ reveal that Brown took off in the same car as Jackson. When investigators searched Brown's home, a Glock 17 9x19 handgun loaded with an extended magazine and a 9mm handgun with 27 rounds.

He admitted to firing a handgun into a roadway at about three people who were shooting at home from the parking lot. Brown was reportedly shot in the hand, according to documents.

Charging documents show that Brown handed the gun to Jackson who fired shots toward seven people causing them to run for safety.

Danny Gonzalez, who lives on the road, previously described the chaos to WJZ as people were running and bullets were flying.  

"It's a community that's been ignored and everything, and you can't be surprised," Danny Gonzalez told WJZ Investigator Mike Hellgren.

Investigators had previously arrested a 17-year-old boy in July and charged him with possession of a firearm by a minor, assault weapon possession, reckless endangerment and handgun in a vehicle.

"From day one, I have charged our department to leave no stone unturned and follow every piece of evidence, every tip and every lead to ensure we have had a thorough and extensive investigation," Worley said.

Anyone with further information is urged to contact Homicide Detectives at 410-396-2100. 

Those who wish to remain anonymous may utilize the Metro Crime Stoppers tip line, at 1-866-7LOCKUP.  


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.