Oakland shooting kills 1, injures 7 others; 3rd mass shooting in California in 3 days
OAKLAND -- A mass shooting at a gas station in Oakland Monday evening killed at least one person and injured at least seven others, the second mass shooting in the Bay Area Monday and the third in California in three days.
The shooting was reported just after 6 p.m. on the 5900 block of MacArthur Boulevard at Seminary Avenue, adjacent to the grounds of Mills College. Oakland police said officers were investigating a ShotSpotter activation in the area and learned there was a shooting between several individuals.
The shooting happened during the recording of a music video in the area, according to an independent journalist at the scene who provided video images to CBS News Bay Area.
CALIFORNIA MASS SHOOTINGS
- 'Workplace violence' fueled employee's Half Moon Bay mass killing spree
- Gov. Gavin Newsom: "Second Amendment is becoming a suicide pact"
- Family member confirms identity of victim killed in Half Moon Bay mass shooting
- Deadly gunfire shatters the laid-back lifestyle of big surf mecca Half Moon Bay
- 'Scourge of gun violence;' Local politicians react to Half Moon Bay mass shooting
- AG Bonta warns of crowdfunding scams in wake of Half Moon Bay, Monterey Park shootings
- Monterey Park shooting victims: All 11 victims identified
Evidence technicians taped off the station's parking area and pumps late Monday, with dozens of yellow crime evidence markers scattered across the crime scene.
Officers who arrived on the scene did not find any victims but did locate a number of bullet casings. The department then learned of multiple gunshot victims self-transporting to hospitals in the area.
Police said in a press statement there were eight victims; one was deceased and the others were listed in stable condition. There was no word of any suspect information.
It was the sixth homicide being investigated by Oakland police this year.
Police and Crime Stoppers of Oakland are offering up to $10,000 in reward money for information leading to the arrest of the killer. Anyone with information may call police at 510-238-3821 or 510-238-7950 or Crime Stoppers at 510-777-8572.
Earlier Monday, seven people were shot dead in two separate locations in Half Moon Bay on the San Francisco Peninsula. The alleged gunman turned himself in to police shortly after the killings.
On Saturday, 11 people were killed in a mass shooting at a dance studio in Monterey Park in Los Angeles County after a Lunar New Year celebration. The gunman was later found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
for more features.