PLUM, Pa. (KDKA) - Plum Middle School students and faculty were relocated Tuesday morning as a precautionary measure after a school security officer noticed a faint smell of natural gas.
The district released the following statement to parents regarding the incident.
This morning, during a routine check of the school building, the school police officer noticed a faint smell of natural gas. Out of an abundance of caution, 911 was called for the fire department and gas company to fully assess the matter. At this time, faculty and students have been safely relocated to Holiday Park Intermediate School until the matter can be fully assessed. More information will be shared as it becomes available.
In a follow-up statement, the district said, after consulting with borough fire departments and Peoples Gas representatives, the odor was emanating from a sewer pipe outside the building. The school was deemed safe to return to normal operations.
Students and staff will return to the building to proceed with the day as planned.
for more features.