PITTSBURGH (KDKA) - Protesters marched in East Liberty against the relocation of Pittsburgh Police's Zone 5 station.
Pittsburgh Public Safety reported a crowd moved through the East Liberty neighborhood on Monday. The protesters sat in the intersection of Centre Avenue and Kirkwood Street before stopping at N. Euclid Avenue and Broad Street. They then dispersed around 7 p.m.
KDKA's Pam Surano says about 200 protesters called Zone 5 police station's relocation an over-policing of the neighborhood.
After several years of renovation, Pittsburgh Police are preparing to reoccupy the Zone 5 police station in East Liberty, not far from where police and protesters clashed last month.
Demonstrators say police caused the panic; however, police said they were under assault by a small group of agitators.
- Federal Class-Action Lawsuit Filed Against Pittsburgh Police, Mayor Peduto And City Officials For East Liberty Protest
- Allegheny Co. DA Withdraws Charges Against 22 People Connected To George Floyd Protest In East Liberty
- Two Women Charged With Throwing Water Bottles At Police Officers In East Liberty
- Mayor Peduto Discusses Police Reform Measures Following Protest In East Liberty
- Pittsburgh Police Admit To Using Tear Gas To Disperse Protesters In East Liberty
- 'Investigate This': Protesters Say Police Started Violent Confrontation During March In East Liberty To Honor George Floyd
- Pittsburgh Mayor Bill Peduto To Review Police Communication From Clash With Protestors In East Liberty
- 20 Arrested And Smoke Used After East Liberty March Starts Peaceful, Ends With Violence
Activists also called for the funding of affordable housing and more social services here.
The protest was peaceful.
Public Safety did say there were some motorists who were "vocalizing their displeasure" with the demonstrators. KDKA's Pam Surano encountered one counter-protester.
"There are people out here trying to lead you to no man's land, okay? They don't have a plan. They don't know who they should be pointing the finger at," he said.
for more features.