WHO declares Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda a global health emergency, with at least 80 dead
The World Health Organization has declared the Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern, after officials identified more than 250 suspected cases and 80 suspected deaths linked to the disease.
Officials warned that the true scope of the outbreak could potentially be much larger than what has been reported so far, as health workers raced to intensify screening and contact tracing to contain the disease.
The WHO said the outbreak fell short of the criteria for a "pandemic emergency," like COVID-19, and advised against closing international borders.
Its emergency declaration said eight laboratory-confirmed cases, 246 suspected cases and 80 suspected deaths had been reported as of Saturday in Congo's eastern province of Ituri, the outbreak's epicenter. Two more laboratory-confirmed cases, including one death, were also reported in Kampala, Uganda within a day of each other. Those two cases were confirmed in people who had traveled from Congo and had "no apparent link to each other," according to the WHO.
The Africa CDC has reported 246 suspected cases and 65 deaths in Congo, although regional health officials said at a news conference Saturday that they have identified upwards of 300 probable cases overall.
At least six Americans were exposed to Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo, sources with international aid organizations told CBS News, although it was unclear if any had been infected.
Officials first announced the outbreak on Friday. Locals in Ituri's capital, Bunia, said they were afraid for their lives amid frequent burials.
"Every day, people are dying ... and this has been going on for about a week. In a single day, we bury two, three or even more people," said Jean Marc Asimwe, a resident of Bunia.
Congolese Health Minister Samuel-Roger Kamba said late Friday there have been eight laboratory-confirmed cases, and among them four deaths.
Test results confirmed it is the Bundibugyo virus, a variant of the disease that has been less prominent in Congo's past outbreaks. This is Congo's 17th outbreak since Ebola first emerged in the country in 1976.
Ebola is highly contagious and can be contracted through bodily fluids such as vomit, blood or semen. The disease it causes is rare, but severe and often fatal.
The Bundibugyo virus has only been responsible for two previous Ebola outbreaks, according to CBS News medical correspondent Dr. Céline Gounder. One, in Uganda in 2007, resulted in 55 cases. The other, in the Congo in 2012, resulted in 57 cases. There are no approved vaccines or treatments for this strain of Ebola, Gounder said, noting "medical professionals seem very concerned about the possibility or the ability to contain this."
The suspected index case in the latest outbreak is a nurse who died at a hospital in Bunia, Kamba said. He said the case dates back to April 24.
He did not say whether samples from the nurse were tested, but said the person presented symptoms suggestive of Ebola.
Outbreak spreads to neighboring Uganda
Uganda confirmed Friday an Ebola case that authorities said was "imported" from Congo. The person died at the Kibuli Muslim Hospital in Uganda's capital, Kampala, on May 14.
The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention had said it is concerned about the risk of further spread due to the proximity of affected areas to Uganda and South Sudan.
Medical aid group Doctors Without Borders said it was preparing a "large-scale response" and called the rapid spread of the outbreak "extremely concerning," according to the Agence France-Presse.
The body of the patient who died in Kampala was later taken back to Congo and no other local case has been confirmed, Uganda's health ministry said.
On Saturday, people were being screened at the entrance of the Kibuli Muslim Hospital.
Ismail Kigongo, who resides in Kampala, said the new outbreak reminded him of his father, whom he lost during the COVID-19 pandemic. "I really get scared because I remember burying my father without looking at his body," he said.
Kenya, Uganda's neighbor, said Saturday there is only a "moderate risk of importation" of the Ebola virus due to regional travel. Kenya's government said it has formed an Ebola preparedness team and has strengthened surveillance at all points of entry.
Logistical challenges complicate outbreak management
Congo often faces logistical challenges in delivering expertise and supplies to affected regions during disease outbreaks.
As Africa's second-largest country by land area, Congo's provinces are far from one another and mostly battling conflict. Ituri, for instance, is around 620 miles from the nation's capital, Kinshasa, and is ravaged by violence from Islamic State-backed militants.
"What we know very well [is] that the country has experience, but the region where it is happening is highly volatile with the humanitarian situation going on and the population moving around from South Sudan to Uganda and other parts," said Dr. Abdi Rahman Mahamud, WHO director of health emergency alert and response operations, during a news conference Friday.
The disease has so far been confirmed in three health zones in Ituri province, including the capital city, Bunia, and the areas of Rwampara and Mongwalu, where the outbreak is concentrated.
Only 13 blood samples have been tested at the National Institute of Biomedical Research; eight tested positive for the Bundibugyo strain. The remaining five could not be analyzed due to insufficient sample volume, the health minister said.
In Bunia, Ituri's main city, businesses and regular activities in public places appeared normal on Friday.
Resident Adeline Awekonimungu said she hopes the outbreak is quickly contained. "My recommendation is that the government take this matter seriously and that it takes charge of the hospitals so that this matter can be brought under control," she said.
Ebola risk to Americans is low, CDC says
U.S. health officials describe the risk to Americans as low, but did not directly answer questions about whether any Americans may have been exposed to the Ebola virus in Africa.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is working with other health officials "to ensure the outbreak is managed and prevent further spread of Ebola," said Dr. Satish Pillai, the manager of the CDC's response to the outbreak, in a call with reporters Sunday.
The agency has an office with 30 personnel in Congo, and is working to deploy additional CDC workers to respond to the outbreak, Pillai said.
The agency on Friday issued travel advisories urging Americans traveling in Congo and Uganda to avoid people who have symptoms like fever, muscle pain and rash. The CDC also is "putting in appropriate measures for identifying individuals with any symptoms" at ports of entry, Pillai said, but CDC officials did not immediately respond to follow-up questions asking for more detail.
A U.S. State Department spokesperson said Monday that the U.S. government is working with the governments of the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda to contain the virus, and is also "working to rapidly mobilize support" to international partner organizations with expertise in Ebola response, including UNICEF, the International Organization for Migration and the International Medical Corps. The State Department did not directly respond to questions about how prior cuts to USAID may have affected preparedness.
Doctor who survived Ebola questions U.S. response
The U.S. has been the single largest external player in Ebola outbreak response in the past, but experts worry the Trump administration's cuts to the U.S. Agency for International Development and its withdrawal of the country from the WHO may impact such efforts.
A New York doctor who contracted and survived Ebola more than 10 years ago told CBS News on Friday that he is "really concerned" for healthcare workers treating Ebola patients. Medical staff have "very close contact with people when they're most contagious," said Dr. Craig Spencer, an emergency room physician and public health professor at Brown University.
Spencer said the U.S. does not have the capacity right now to respond quickly to global outbreaks. He suggested to CBS News there may be a connection between the shutdown of USAID and the fact that the latest outbreak was not announced until Friday.
"Before the second Trump administration, USAID would have been on the ground," Spencer said. "The CDC would have been on the ground at a moment's notice, maybe even before a moment's notice, of a new outbreak of Ebola because we were in a bunch of countries. We created relationships beforehand."
Spencer also pointed to absences in the Office of Pandemic Preparedness and Response and other health agencies. However, he said the U.S. is still capable of dealing with the outbreak.
Ebola "is not that great at spreading," he said, and highlighted the United States' response to a deadly outbreak of a rare strain of hantavirus aboard a Dutch cruise ship.
"We've seen over the past couple weeks with the national quarantine unit we have in Nebraska and the over-a-dozen centers that we have around the U.S. that are capable of taking care of very high consequence pathogens like hantavirus and Ebola," Spencer said. "These were all commitments that we made as a country, particularly and partly because of cases like my own a decade ago."


