Watch CBS News

Matthew Webb dies of injuries after being shot on the job at McDonald's in Brooklyn

Family of Matthew Webb speaks out after deadly shooting at McDonald's
Family of Matthew Webb speaks out after deadly shooting at McDonald's 02:21

NEW YORK - A vigil was held in Brooklyn on Friday for the McDonald's worker who was shot on the job and killed over cold fries.

The family of the victim spoke exclusively to CBS2's Alecia Reid.

Matthew Webb's family was extremely emotional but say they are grateful for all the love and support they've been receiving during one of the most difficult times of their lives.

"Matthew Jeremiah Webb was a loving, fun, respectful young man, working two jobs, putting himself through school. He was an organist at the church, making something of his life as a man before his life was just viciously and senselessly stolen," a family member told CBS2.

READ MORE: Sources: McDonald's employee shot in neck after argument about cold fries in Brooklyn

Loved ones and co-workers say the 23-year-old victim would give you the shirt off his back.

"All Matthew was trained to do, grew up to do, is to love and care for others, and this hurts us to our core to know that we have lost something very special," another family member said.

Suspect Michael Morgan is accused of shooting Webb outside the restaurant Monday after his mother got into a confrontation over cold French fries. He was arrested and charged with attempted murder earlier this week before Webb passed away from his injuries.

Police say since Morgan has been in custody, he has also implicated himself in the 2020 homicide of Kevin Holloman. The 28-year-old was shot and killed about half a mile from the McDonald's where Webb was shot.

Organizers of Friday's vigil prayed for both victims, as well as the shooter.

"As long as there's life, there is hope for him to be a better person," said Charmaine Byrd, with the 79th Precinct Clergy Council.

READ MORE: NYPD: Michael Morgan charged with attempted murder in shooting of McDonald's worker Matthew Webb

In a statement, the owner of the Fulton Street McDonald's said, "We are heart-broken by the passing of our crew member as a result of this senseless act, and we are thinking of his family at this time. We will continue to cooperate with authorities as their investigation moves forward."

Webb's family says he was a peaceful man, and they're asking the public to remain calm in his memory.

Meanwhile, Morgan's mother, who was on the phone with her son during the initial argument over the cold fries, is not facing any charges. Morgan's girlfriend, 18-year-old Camellia Dunlap, has been charged with criminal possession of a gun for allegedly hiding the weapon used in the shooting.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.