Watch CBSN Live

Tension remains after "Occupy Oakland" clashes

OAKLAND, Calif. - The scene was calm but tense early Wednesday as a crowd of hundreds of protesters dwindled to just a few dozen at the site of several clashes between authorities and supporters of the Occupy Wall Street movement a night earlier.

Police in riot gear stood watch only a few yards away from a group of stalwart demonstrators in the aftermath of skirmishes in front of City Hall that resulted in five volleys of tear gas from police, in blasts that seemed to intensify with each round, over a roughly three-hour stretch of evening scuffles.

The conflict began much earlier in the day when police dismantled an encampment of Occupy Wall Street protesters that had dominated a plaza across the street from the government building for more than two weeks.

Police fired tear gas and beanbag rounds, clearing out the makeshift city in less than an hour.

Poll: 43 percent agree with views of "Occupy Wall Street"
"Occupy Atlanta" camp cleared, dozens arrested
CBO: Top 1% getting exponentially richer

Hours after nightfall Tuesday evening, protesters had gathered at a downtown library and began marching toward City Hall in an attempt to re-establish a presence in the area of the disbanded camp.

They were met by police officers in riot gear. Several small skirmishes broke out and officers cleared the area by firing tear gas.

The scene repeated itself several times just a few blocks away in front of the plaza, where police set up behind metal barricades, preventing protesters from gaining access to the site.

Tensions would build as protesters edged ever closer to the police line and reach a breaking point with a demonstrator hurling a bottle or rock, prompting police to respond with another round of gas.

NY couple files to trademark "Occupy Wall St."
Complete Coverage: Occupy Wall St. protests

The chemical haze hung in the air for hours, new blasts clouding the air before the previous fog could dissipate.

The number of protesters diminished with each round of tear gas. Police estimated that there were roughly 1,000 demonstrators at the first clash following the march, at least one of whom was injured when what appeared to be a tear gas canister hit his head, reports CBS News correspondent John Blackstone.

About 200 remained after the final conflict around 11:15 PDT, mostly young adults, some riding bicycles, protecting themselves from the noxious fumes with bandanas and scarves wrapped around their faces.

Police have denied reports that they used flash bang canisters to help break up the crowds, saying the loud noises came from large firecrackers thrown at police by protesters.

Helicopters scanned the area late Tuesday and scores of officers wearing helmets and carrying clubs patrolled the streets. Fire crews put out small blazes in trash containers.

Protesters moved about uneasily even as one used a bull horn to express his resolve.

"This movement is more than just the people versus the police," Mario Fernandez said. "It's about the people trying to have their rights to basic services."

He added, "This crowd isn't going anywhere anytime soon."

Acting Police Chief Howard Jordan told reporters at a late night news conference that authorities had no other choice, saying the protesters were throwing rocks and bottles at officers.

"We had to deploy gas to stop the crowd," he said, according to a KCBS report.

City officials say that two officers were injured. At least five protesters were arrested and several others injured in the evening clashes.

In the morning raid authorities removed about 170 demonstrators who had been staying in the area overnight after repeatedly being warned that such a camp was illegal and they faced arrest by remaining. City officials said 97 people were arrested.

Protesters promised to reconvene Wednesday morning. Police, meanwhile, remained in riot gear standing watch.

The Oakland site was among numerous camps that have sprung up around the country as protesters rally against what they see as corporate greed and a wide range of other economic issues. The protests have attracted a wide range of people, including college students looking for work and the homeless.

But police and some neighbors in cities around the country have started losing patience as protesters prepare to settle in for winter in camps without running water or working toilets. Businesses and residents near New York's Zuccotti Park, the unofficial headquarters of the movement that began in mid-September, are demanding something be done to discourage the hundreds of protesters from urinating in the street and making noise at all hours.

But a plurality of Americans has expressed sympathy with the goals of the Occupy Wall Street movement. According to a CBS News/New York Times poll released Tuesday, 43 percent of Americans agree with the protesters that wealth in America should be spread more evenly. Just 27 percent disagreed with an additional 30 percent saying they weren't sure.

In Atlanta, police closed the downtown park where more than 50 demonstrators had been arrested following days of protests.

Police announced late Wednesday morning that the park is closed, and anyone there risks being arrested. Authorities did not say how long the park would remain closed.

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed said in a statement that 53 arrests were made after protesters moved from peacefully demonstrating to "increasingly aggressive actions" in recent days.

Reed said one man had walked through the park with an assault rifle, and demonstrators had inserted wire hangers into electrical sockets to create additional power sources.

Demonstrators who were arrested in the predawn hours Wednesday were awaiting court hearings later in the morning. Organizers of Occupy Atlanta were also planning a news conference at City Hall Wednesday afternoon.

And in San Francisco, officials are warning anti-Wall Street protesters camped out in a city plaza that they face arrest if they continue to stay there around the clock.

In a notice distributed on Tuesday, Police Chief Greg Suhr said the protesters in Justin Herman Plaza could be arrested on a variety of sanitation or illegal camping violations although police are not saying when that could occur.

Protesters in Justin Herman Plaza said they weren't worried about the latest warning from city officials. Police have taken down a previous Occupy San Francisco camp in the plaza and also cleared another camp outside the Federal Reserve Bank downtown.

View CBS News In