CBSN

N.J. teen arrested for allegedly threatening attack on pope

Last Updated Sep 15, 2015 3:19 PM EDT

The Secret Service last month arrested a teenager from New Jersey for making threats in connection to Pope Francis' upcoming three-city tour in the United States next week, according to law enforcement officials.

CBS News chief investigative correspondent Pat Milton reports the 15-year-old New Jersey boy was arrested on August 14 by the Joint Terrorism Task Force and charged with material support of terrorism.

A law enforcement official told Milton that the teen was allegedly communicating with someone believed to be an Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) member online, and was being urged to attack a visiting diplomat or the pope. The teen was urged to research online how to build an explosive. The source said the unidentified teenager then allegedly began to do his research and was arrested soon afterwards.

The threats were not substantial and were characterized as loose talk, but the teenager was taken into custody anyway. A bulletin was sent to law enforcement agencies.

At this time, police and intelligence officials continue to tell CBS News there are no known credible threats to the pope while he is in the U.S. starting next week.

Francis leaves Saturday for Cuba and arrives in the United States on Sept. 22 for a five-day visit.

On Tuesday, Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi said that he was unaware of any particular threat against the pope, and is not worried about his safety. The pope intends to move about as he does normally, without an armored vehicle, Lombardi said.

House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Michael McCaul said Sunday that the U.S. has stopped at least one threat made against Francis.

McCaul said he received a classified briefing from the Secret Service on the papal visit and that he is "concerned" by the threat of lone wolf attacks.