Watch CBSN Live

Family of OSU tragedy suspect: "We don't have answers"

Floyd Chambers stood before a group of reporters in Stillwater, Okla, on Monday, trying to offer something to the community reeling from the deadly Oklahoma State University homecoming parade tragedy that left four people dead.

His daughter, Adacia Chambers, is facing for now four second-degree murder charges for plowing into the crowd along the parade route.

On Monday, with red eyes and a quiet speech, Floyd Chambers could only offer what many have said previously: "We don't have answers."

A prosecutor said Monday that Chambers "purposely" went around a barricade and ran a red light before crashing into the spectators.

Arguing for a $1 million bail, Payne County District Attorney Laura Thomas told the judge that if Chambers is convicted in the deaths of four people, she is "looking at four life sentences."

Special District Judge Katherine Thomas granted the bond request and ordered a psychological evaluation for Chambers, who is being held on preliminary counts of second-degree murder.

Chambers appeared at Monday's hearing via video. The only time she spoke was to say "yes" when the judge asked if she could hear her.

Prosecutors asked for more time to interview the dozens of witnesses who were at the scene Saturday and said one of the injured is in a "fragile" state, which could lead to more charges.

In Oklahoma, second-degree murder charges are warranted when someone acts in a way that's "imminently dangerous to another person" but does so without premeditation. Each count is punishable by at least 10 years in prison.

Chambers, 25, of Stillwater, has yet to be formally charged - a step that requires prosecutors to file additional documents in court.

The judge scheduled the next hearing for Nov. 13.

After the hearing, Chambers' attorney, Tony Coleman, said when he told Chambers about the deaths, "her face was blank." He said he was not sure Chambers is aware that she's in jail. Chambers had yet to ask to see her parents or boyfriend.

Speaking at a press conference Monday with Adacia Chambers' aunt, Lynda Branstetter, and her boyfriend, Jesse Gaylord, Floyd Chambers said all those who knew her said just a day before the accident she appeared "happy, funny," and had no drug or alcohol problems they were aware of. Gaylord said they'd been talking about moving back to their hometown.

"This is so out of character," Branstetter said.

The bewilderment of Chambers' family is matched by that of her lawyer. Chambers' attorney, Tony Coleman, said Monday that Chambers had "no real response whatsoever" when he told her that four people died as a result of the crash. He said he believes she is mentally ill and said she was hospitalized two years ago for an undisclosed mental illness.

On Sunday, Coleman said there was no indication that Chambers had been drinking before the crash. Police are awaiting blood tests to determine whether Chambers was impaired by drugs or alcohol.

"I absolutely can rule out alcohol," Coleman said.

He said he spoke with Chambers for about an hour.

Car plows into crowd at Oklahoma homecoming p... 02:16

"During that entire interview, I was not satisfied at all that I was communicating with a competent individual," Coleman said.

He said Chambers was at work before the crash and that she doesn't remember much of what happened, only that she felt extremely confused as she was removed from the car.

"She could have even blacked out," Coleman said.

Witnesses described seeing people struck by the car go flying through the air and landing on the road. Three adults and a 2-year-old boy were killed and at least 46 other people were hurt. One of those victims is reportedly in "fragile condition," and health officials are not sure they'll make it.

Konda Walker, an OSU graduate who was in Stillwater with her sister to celebrate homecoming, said she was only about 50 feet from the crash scene.

She said it took her a few seconds to process what had happened. There were bodies and injured people lying "all over the place," Walker said.

"One woman was a crumpled mess on the road. They turned her over and started CPR. We realized she didn't make it," she said.

Among the injured were nine children 10 years old or younger.

At the corner of the intersection where the suspect's car came to a stop, a makeshift memorial grew Sunday with balloons, flowers, stuffed teddy bears and candles with black and orange ribbons tied around them, for the school's colors. A handmade sign read, "It's always darkest before dawn. Stay strong."

Memorial growing at the scene of the OSU parade tragedy. CBS affiliate KOTV
View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue