MINNEAPOLIS — United Auto Workers President Shawn Fain on Friday called for, including locations in Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Fain made the announcement at 10 a.m., saying workers will strike at 38 locations across 20 states beginning at 11 a.m. He said significant progress has been made in negotiations with Ford, but not GM and Stellantis.
The locations include a Stellantis distribution center in Plymouth, Minnesota and a General Motors facility in Hudson, Wisconsin.
Parts distribution centers have impacts on drivers in the Twin Cities looking for a spare part. After a week of watching the strike from afar, workers say they're happy to be on the picket line.
"This is a completely new experience," said Local 125 member Alex Tivis. "There's an anxiety of what's going to happen, how long is it going to last? But there's also an excitement that I get to come out here and stand up with my local brothers and sisters for something I do believe in."
Tivis joined 80 union members in Hudson, who with two-hours notice, learned they would be joining the 13,000 auto workers already on strike.
"It was awesome," said Local 722 Shop Chair Kenny Carrier Jr. "Because now we're able to stand up and put a hurt into general motors that we're serious. We ain't playing games We want what's owed to us."
Among the demands from UAW workers are a 36% pay increase, pension benefits for all employees, a four-day, 32-hour work week and more paid vacation time.
Workers at the Plymouth and Hudson sites will strike for 24 hours a day, seven days a week until a deal is met.
UAW workers in Hudson say they see the strike as not just a fight for them, but a fight for anyone working a blue-collar job. They feel a pay increase for auto workers forces every company to start raising wages to remain competitive.
Plants called to strike by noon
- Pontiac Redistribution, Pontiac, Mich.
- Willow Run Redistribution, Belleville, Mich.
- Ypsilanti Processing Center, Ypsilanti, Mich.
- Davidson Road Processing Center, Burton, Mich.
- Flint Processing Center, Swartz Creek, Mich.
- Lansing Redistribution, Lansing, Mich.
- Cincinnati Parts Distribution Westchester, Ohio
- Denver Parts Distribution Aurora, Colo.
- Hudson Parts Distribution Hudson, Wis.
- Chicago Parts Distribution Bolingbrook, Ill
- Reno Parts Distribution Center, Reno, Nev.
- Rancho Cucamonga Parts, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.
- Fort Worth Parts Distribution, Roanoke, Texas
- Martinsburg Parts Distribution, Martinsburg, W. Va.
- Jackson Parts Distribution, Brandon, Miss.
- Charlotte Parts Distribution, Charlotte N.C.
- Memphis AC Delco Parts Distribution, Memphis, Tenn.
- Philadelphia Parts Distribution, Lang Horne, Pa.
Stellantis Distribution Centers
- Marysville, Marysville, Mich.
- Center Line Packing, Center Line, Mich.
- Center Line Warehouse, Center Line, Mich.
- Sherwood, Warren, Mich.
- Warren Parts, Warren, Warren, Mich.
- Quality Engineering Center, Auburn Hills, Mich.
- Romulus, Romulus, Mich.
- Cleveland, Streetsboro, Ohio
- Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Minneapolis, Plymouth, Minn.
- Denver, Commerce City, Colo.
- Chicago, Naperville, Ill.
- Los Angeles, Ontario, Calif.
- Portland, Beaverton, Ore.
- Atlanta, Morrow, Ga.
- Winchester, Winchester, Va.
- Orlando, Orlando, Fla.
- Dallas, Carrollton, Texas
- New York, Tappan, N.Y.
- Boston, Mansfield, Mass.
for more features.