St. Paul's The Gnome now closed, but owner says recent burglary isn't the cause
A St. Paul, Minnesota, restaurant that was burglarized last weekend is now closed, its owner said on social media Friday, though he added it "has nothing to do with the recent burglary."
Brian Ingram, owner of The Gnome, said the closure "comes after discovering significant problems with the building that we simply cannot overcome as tenants." Ingram added he only leases the building.
"This firehouse has been serving our community for over 140 years, and we have no doubt it will be doing it for 140 more," Ingram said. "Our time as stewards of this old firehouse has come to an end, but our belief in Saint Paul has not."
Ingram posted earlier in the week that inspection of a leak in the roof revealed "a lot more damage than we knew was there."
The St. Paul Police Department responded to the restaurant at Selby Avenue and Mackubin Street North Sunday morning after the owner reported a break-in and theft of $1,300. Ingram said this was the second break-in at The Gnome this year and estimates the damage at about $18,000.
After the latest incident, Ingram spoke out about crime in the area and the Ramsey County Attorney's Office.
"Talking about crime is hard on a business. You're afraid of scaring away your customers. Afraid of being criticized. Afraid someone will turn your anger into politics when all you're trying to do is protect your people," said Ingram.
"Stop making excuses for the criminals and hold them accountable," he added.
Ingram said Friday he intends to donate the food, supplies and beverages the restaurant has to other local eateries and nonprofits. He also said the team's community efforts will continue.
"Saint Paul's best days are ahead of her. We love this city. We are grateful for this city," Ingram said. "We will continue to be a homegrown, family-owned and operated company based right here in Saint Paul."
Note: The video above originally aired Aug. 17, 2026.