Watch CBS News

Man, 20, Faces Charges For Allegedly Abusing Girlfriend's 2-Year-Old Daughter

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A Robbinsdale man is facing child abuse charges for allegedly inflicting great bodily harm on his girlfriend's 2-year-old daughter, according to police.

Michael Angel Serrata, 20, was charged with one count of malicious punishment of a child.

According to the criminal complaint, at roughly 3 p.m. on Oct. 30 St. Paul Police responded to a child abuse report at Children's Hospital in St. Paul.

A doctor called police in after a 2-year-old child was brought in with an altered level of consciousness and possible seizure activity.

According to the criminal complaint, the toddler was brought in by her mother, 27-year-old Tamika Kladek, and her boyfriend of roughly two months, Serrata.

Kladek told police that she had left the house for work at 8 a.m. and left her daughter in the care of Serrata.

Police said that Kladek sent a text message around 11 a.m. to Serrata asking how her daughter was. Serrata said she was still sleeping. Kladek then told him that was unusual and he should wake her up to feed her.

Kladek told police she sent another message at 11:45 a.m. and didn't get a response.

According to the criminal complaint, Kladek received a text message from Serrata at 12:15 p.m. "freaking out" because the girl was not moving, her arm was twitching, her eyes were partially open and she was foaming at the mouth.

Kladek also told police that her daughter had not been herself that week, being more fussy than normal.

According to the criminal complaint, the child had been under the care of Serrata beginning Monday, Oct. 27.

Police also learned that the girl had been taken to the emergency room for swollen fingers on Monday, Oct. 27. Serrata said the girl also fell off of the couch while she was taking a nap on Tuesday, Oct. 28.

Upon arrival to the hospital, the doctors noted significant bruising on the girl's cheek. The bruising extended from her cheek all the way up to her ear, and she had additional bruising on her ear.

According to the criminal complaint, the doctor also found bruising on the forehead, left thigh, both buttocks, lower back and left shoulder, as well as blood on her left eyelid.

Police said the doctor's felt the injuries detailed were not significant enough to account for the amount and severity of bruising, and that the bruising was consistent with inflicted injury.

According to the criminal complaint, Kladek said that Serrata did not live with her, but stayed at her home occasionally and had been watching the girl the week of Oct. 27. She also said she had three roommates, but that they do not interact or care for her daughter.

Serrata confirmed with police that Kladek's roommates were never alone with the girl, nor did the administer any care during the time period from Oct. 27 through 30.

Police said that Serrata described the events of the morning of Oct. 30 that were consistent with the doctors reports. He admitted the child did receive a lot of injuries while in his care.

According to the criminal complaint he said he felt as though he did not pay close enough attention to her and said he was not a babysitter.

Police said Serrata admitted he did not call 911 on Oct. 30 and gave no explanation for the injuries the girl suffered while in his care.

The 2-year-old was breathing on her own but had not regained movement of the left side of her body as of Nov. 4.

She was transferred to Gillette Hospital for ongoing care and has doctors say she has evidence of a brain injury. Reports show she also suffered ligament damage in her neck consistent with hyperextension of the neck.

If found guilty, Serrata faces a maximum of 10 years in prison, a $20,000 fine or both.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.