Watch CBS News

Sheriff: Candle Caused Wis. Fire That Killed Boy

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) -- A candle sparked a house fire that killed a little boy in western Wisconsin, according to the St. Croix County Sheriff's office.

Four-year-old Jacetin Campeau died near New Richmond on Monday afternoon.

Jacetin Campeau
Jacetin Campeau (credit: GoFundMe)

His older sisters had been babysitting him. They stepped outside to play moments before an unattended candle in the living room set the house on fire.

Campeau's father, neighbors and firefighters all tried to save the boy, but it was too late.

Relatives set up a GoFundMe page to help the family with funeral expenses.

EMERGENCY COMPONENT - LOCAL

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.