Watch CBS News

'She Says Her Name Is Jayme Closs': 911 Operator Who Took Call Talks To WCCO

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) -- It's been exactly one week since Jayme Closs saved herself. After 88 days, the 13 year old broke free from captivity.

Jacob Patterson, 21, confessed to killing Jayme's parents in Barron, Wisconsin, then kidnapping her and holding her captive in his Gordon, Wisconsin home until her courageous escape.

Jeanne Nutter was walking her dog when Jayme approached her asking for help. Jeanne wanted to get Jayme quickly away from the street, so she sought help at the home of her neighbors -- Kristin and Peter Kasinskas. Kristin called 911 and said Jayme Closs was in her home. They used a landline since cell service is spotty.

Amy Pullen has been working as a 911 dispatcher for 10 years. Over that time, she has taken thousands of calls -- but none like the one she received last Thursday. January 10 started off like any other day at the Douglas County Dispatch Center.

"Not a lot of calls, kind of sporadic things, then that call came in and our whole day changed," Pullen said.

A call came in from Gordon, a town 40 miles away from Superior. Pullen picked up.

amy pullen
(credit: CBS)

Kristin Kasinskas: Hi, I have a young lady at my house right now and she says her name is Jayme Closs.

Amy Pullen: OK, what's your address? [Kasinskas gives address] OK, have you seen her photo, ma'am?

Kasinskas: Yes, it's her, I 100 percent think it's her.

"It took me a couple seconds to process what she had just said. It clicked and I was like, 'Oh boy.' That's why I first asked her, 'Have you seen her picture?' and she was 100-percent sure," Pullen said.

Plastered on billboards, posters and social media, Pullen had seen Closs' photo multiple times, and knew how volatile of a situation this could be. Taking down crucial details like an address and the vehicle description, her voice remained soothing as help was on its way. On the inside, Pullen says her stomach was turning.

"My whole body was shaking and I went into a full body sweat. It wasn't that I was scared, I was just wanting those deputies to get her as soon as possible," she said.

After 30 minutes, law enforcement arrived, and Pullen knew Jayme was safe.

"The older I get, the more I believe that things happen for a reason," Pullen said.

Everything fell into place that day, but none of it would have been possible without the strength and courage of a 13-year-old girl.

"Honestly, if it wasn't for Jayme, that day would've never happened," Pullen said. "She did it on her own. We just guided her home."


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.