Watch CBS News

Crystal Ball Causes House Fire Near Wisconsin Dells

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) -- A crystal ball didn't predict a fire in Wisconsin -- but it did start one.

Crystal Ball Fire
(credit: Dalton Fire Dept.)

This happened Monday at a home near Wisconsin Dells. The Dalton Fire Department says a crystal ball was sitting near a window, and when the sun hit it, it set the couch on fire.

Investigators say the ball worked like a magnifying glass and focused the sun's energy.

Crystal Ball Fire
(credit: Dalton Fire Dept.)

No one was hurt, but the fire caused about $250,000 worth of damage to the home.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.