Watch CBS News

Black Lives Matter Demands Names Of Officers In Weekend Shooting

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Black Lives Matter is demanding the names of the police officers involved in the weekend shooting of a north Minneapolis man.

The activists, some of which camped out overnight at a city police precinct, also want any video available from the incident.

The shooting happened early Sunday morning on Plymouth Avenue North. Police were responding to a report of a man assaulting a woman.

On the way to that call, police were notified that the suspect was interfering with paramedics. When police arrived, they say there was a struggle and an officer shot a man.

Family members identified the man as 24-year-old Jamar Clark. They say he is being kept alive on life support.

Several witnesses say Clark's wrists were handcuffed behind his back when he was shot, but police, as well as the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, say that's not the case, citing a preliminary investigation.

Since the shooting happened, Black Lives Matter Minneapolis has demanded answers. The group held a press conference Monday morning.

Clark's father, James Hill, stood with activists, saying he wants justice for his son.

"I love my son," he said. "For him to die getting shot like that, that's bad. The police don't care. The mayor don't care. The police superintendent don't care."

On Sunday afternoon, Mayor Betsy Hodges and Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau held a listening session at the Minneapolis Urban League. They told the crowd that the BCA is conducting an independent investigation into the shooting and that they plan to do it as quickly as possible.

However, it didn't take long for the meeting to get out of hand.

Hundreds of protesters then spent much of the night outside the Minneapolis 4th Precinct demanding the names of the officers involved in the shooting.

Community activist John Martin said at the Monday press conference that the north Minneapolis community is tired of listening sessions with city leaders.

"It's time for action," he said. "Action right now. Sick and tired of this happening in our community."

On Sunday, family members told WCCO-TV that Clark had passed away as a result of the shooting. Clark's father later said that his son had died by the time he reached the hospital, but was placed on life support.

He says the family is waiting on other relatives to arrive before saying their final goodbyes.

As for the investigation, the BCA is still gathering information and conducting interviews.

Police say two officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure following such a shooting.

The names of the officers have not been released.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.