Watch CBS News

Live

Live Updates: Trump threatens to bomb Oman with Iran war stuck in stalemate as 60-day negotiation period ends

What to know about the Iran war today:

  • Monday marks 60 days since the U.S. and Iran signed a memorandum of understanding that called for a wider peace deal to be negotiated within that timeframe. After multiple flare-ups and suggestions of an imminent accord, there do not appear to be any concrete plans to end the 24-week war.
  • President Trump threatened Monday to bomb Oman if the country "gets in the way" of U.S. efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and end the war with Iran, according to Fox News. Earlier, Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman said Tehran had reached an agreement with Oman regarding future shipping routes in the strait.
  • Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and adviser, met Hamas leaders in Egypt on Sunday to discuss the latest U.S.-backed peace proposal for the Gaza Strip, which Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected last week.
 

Trump says he has no schedule and he's "not in a hurry" to end the Iran war

President Trump told Fox News' Trey Yingst on Monday that he has "no time schedule" to end the war with Iran, but that the Islamic Republic should "put up the white flag of surrender," according to Yingst

"I'm not in a hurry," the Fox journalist quoted the president as saying. 

Mr. Trump repeated his assertion to Yingst that "the midterms have nothing to do with my thinking" on resolving the war, which the U.S. and Israel launched jointly with a first wave of strikes on Iran on February 28.  

Mr. Trump told Fox there was a direct backchannel between U.S. officials and members of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, but he didn't elaborate on any ongoing talks, saying only that the Iranians are "good poker players, but they're dying." 

By
 

Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it "gets in the way"

President Trump told Fox News on Monday that the U.S. would bomb Oman if the country "gets in the way" of U.S. efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz and end the war with Iran, according to the network's Trey Yingst.

"If Oman gets in the way, we'll bomb the s*** out of them," Trump said, according to Yingst's recounting of his conversation with the president. 

Earlier, Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei told reporters Tehran had struck an agreement with Oman regarding shipping routes through the Strait of Hormuz, but did not elaborate.

Iran and Oman have held talks for weeks aimed at creating a mechanism to manage the strategic waterway in the future, with both having suggested at times that fees may be imposed for ships to use the strait. No concrete plans have been formally announced.

Despite Iran's threats and attacks on ships keeping traffic through the strait at a virtual standstill, Mr. Trump has asserted repeatedly that the U.S. is in control of the waterway, and that it may "keep it."

By
 

Kushner meets with Netanyahu after talks with Hamas leaders

President Trump's son-in-law and envoy Jared Kushner met Monday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu after holding talks with Hamas leaders the previous day.

The meeting came two weeks after Mr. Trump said Hamas had agreed to disarm in accordance with a U.S.-backed Gaza peace deal. Netanyahu rejected the peace proposal, insisting that Hamas must be "genuinely disarmed."

Kushner's meeting with Hamas leaders took place in Egypt, with the goal of translating the plan negotiated by Mr. Trump's Board of Peace into concrete steps, a source told CBS News.

The meeting in Egypt also included discussion of the transfer of all governing responsibilities to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, ensuring Hamas has no future governing role in Gaza, facilitating Israeli withdrawals and deploying an international stabilizing force in the region, among other things, the source told CBS News.

 

Iran says agreement on future routes through Strait of Hormuz reached with Oman

Iran's foreign ministry said Monday that Tehran had reached an agreement with Oman on routes for ships to transit the Strait of Hormuz in the future.

Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei told reporters in Tehran "an understanding has been reached regarding the map of the transit route."

Baghaei did not elaborate on the route or whether any fees would be imposed on ships using it, but both Iran and Oman have previously suggested commercial vessels should enter the Strait of Hormuz using a route close to Iran's coast, and exit it using another near Omani waters. 

Baghaei said both sides were working to finalize details before issuing a joint statement on the matter.

 

Iran considers missing pilots to be prisoners in Qatar

Iran's foreign ministry said Monday that it would consider three missing pilots to be prisoners in Qatar, despite denials by Qatari officials, until Doha offers clarity on the fate of the missing personnel.

Tehran has said the Iranians went missing while carrying out an operation against the United States' Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar on March 2, shortly after the outbreak of the war.

On Saturday, Iranian authorities alleged for the first time that the pilots had been captured in Qatar, after previously saying one pilot had been killed and three others were missing following their sortie.

"It is imperative to obtain clarification on their situation," foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said during a weekly news briefing.

"Until the pilots' situation is clarified, we consider them prisoners and will spare no effort to shed light on their fate," he said.

 

Iran downplays significance of 60-day negotiation period ending

Iran's foreign ministry has downplayed the importance of the 60-day period of negotiations agreed to in the memorandum of understanding with the U.S., which is due to expire Monday.

During his weekly news conference, ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Iran would not alter its policies due to external pressure or deadlines, adding that the period designated for negotiations was not being implemented due to ongoing U.S. strikes against the country.

"What was included in the memorandum [...] is not being implemented," he said.

"We did not commence negotiations because the United States began violating the memorandum shortly after its June 18 signing," Baghaei said. "Therefore, the 60-day issue essentially has no relevance." 

By
 

Iran's army chief announces $30,000 bounty for U.S. service members

Iran's army chief announced on Sunday a reward equivalent to around $30,000 for the capture or killing of U.S. military personnel.

Speaking at a ceremony in Tehran on Sunday, Major General Amir Hatami said any Iranian who captured or killed a U.S. military service member would receive the reward of around 5 billion Iranian tomans. For any Iranian woman who captures or kills an American service member, Hatami said the reward would be doubled.

Hatami also issued fresh warnings about Iran's determination to control the Strait of Hormuz, calling it a "sacred" geopolitical asset for the Islamic republic. He said Tehran would use its full capabilities to protect the waterway and described control of the strait as an important lever in bringing the war to an end.

By
 

Shipping in Strait of Hormuz continues to slow

Transit in the Strait of Hormuz slowed this weekend, according to data by tracking firm Kpler reported by Reuters.

Only five commodity vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz on Saturday and none on Sunday, according to Kpler, compared to 31 the prior weekend.

At least one ship entered using the Iranian route, and a small tanker laden with Iranian fuel oil exited, data showed.

Some ships may pass with their transponders off, meaning they may not be detectable, but transits are still a long way from the 130 ships that traversed the strait every day before the war started.

By
 

60-day memorandum of understanding period expires Monday

Monday marks 60 days since the U.S. and Iran signed a Memorandum of Understanding that called for negotiations to reach a wider deal to end the war between the two countries and reopen the Strait of Hormuz.

However, that 60-day period expires Monday amid a stalemate between the two countries and a deal seemingly nowhere in sight. Over the past two months, talks between the two  sides broke down, despite President Trump repeatedly saying a deal was imminent, leading to multiple flare-ups and escalations in the fighting and a constant exchange of threats.

On July 8, Mr. Trump declared that the memorandum of understanding was "over."

By
 

Jared Kushner met with Hamas leaders in Egypt to discuss Gaza peace road map

Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and negotiator on Middle East affairs, met with Hamas leaders in Egypt on Sunday to discuss the latest U.S.-backed peace deal that seeks the group's disarmament and a road map for the transfer of power to a new government, according to a source with knowledge of the meeting.

The meeting was aimed at translating the plan negotiated by Mr. Trump's international Board of Peace into concrete, verifiable steps, the source told CBS News, including maintaining the ceasefire between Israel and Gaza, beginning to transfer all governing responsibilities to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza, ensuring Hamas has no future governing role in Gaza, facilitating Israeli withdrawals and deploying an international stabilizing force to the region, among other things.

The rare meeting in Egypt with Hamas' Khalil al-Hayya was also confirmed to the Associated Press by a regional official and a Hamas official, both speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to reporters.

Read more here

By
 

CENTCOM chief praises USS Abraham Lincoln crew after visit

Adm. Brad Cooper, the head of U.S. Central Command, praised the crew of the USS Abraham Lincoln after he visited the aircraft carrier on Saturday.

In a statement shared on social media, Cooper said his time aboard the Lincoln was "awe-inspiring."

"I wish every American could see the crew in action," he said. "You would beam with absolute pride when witnessing their camaraderie, teamwork and resilience."

The Lincoln, which has about 5,000 service members, arrived in the Middle East in January and has been supporting the U.S. war against Iran. It deployed in November 2025 to the Pacific before it moved to the Middle East. It has spent a record-setting uninterrupted time at sea of more than 240 days. U.S. military vessels are normally deployed for about six months.

In the last few weeks, reports have emerged of mental health concerns among the crew and supply issues on board.

Cooper acknowledged the concerns in his statement, but said the Lincoln has among the lowest numbers of cases related to mental health of all the U.S. Navy's 11 active aircraft carriers.

"This doesn't mean that all is perfect," he said. "Find any of the nearly 4 million Navy veterans in America today and they will likely tell you that service at sea for long periods of time isn't for everyone. It is uniquely challenging and tough, and every single one of us, including me, reacts to stressors in different ways."

Cooper applauded the actions of Lincoln's leadership for "stepping up and making mental health and crew resilience a leadership priority."

The USS George Washington aircraft carrier is headed to the Middle East to relieve the Lincoln.

Asked Friday if he thought the Lincoln's deployment was too long, President Trump said it was "not nearly long enough."

By
View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue