Watch CBS News

Dallas Police Officer Shooting Suspect Headed To Jail

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The man who police believe shot a Dallas police officer early Tuesday morning has been charged with Aggravated Assault against a Public Servant with a Deadly Weapon.

Suspected gunman Jason Yarborough was released from the hospital, after he said he had been shot by an officer during his arrest.

Dallas police say he was taken to the hospital to get checked out, where it was determined he had a scraped knee.

The shooting happened outside the Wildflower Apartments, near Park Lane, just after midnight Tuesday morning.

Dallas police Sr. Cpl. Matthew Wagner and another officer were working off-duty security when they approached a 'suspicious' man sitting in a parked vehicle. The man was reportedly using binoculars and had a police scanner in the van when officers made contact.

After being removed from the vehicle the man physically resisted being frisked and struggled with officers. The man then opened fire, striking Officer Wagner twice, and ran from the scene.

"There were a total of three shots. Two of the shots hit Officer Wagner. One of the shots missed and lodged inside one of the cars parked in the parking lot. That third shot was as the suspect was running away," Dallas Police Chief Brown explained during a press conference held early Tuesday morning.

While making his escape the suspect actually ran out of his shoes and dropped his weapon.

Jason Yarborough
(credit: Texas Department of Criminal Justice)

Dallas police spent the day searching extensively, from the air and on the ground, for the suspect. At one point, a "person of interest" was questioned for hours by police, but it was later determined that individual was not the person who shot the officer.

After further investigation, police say they learned Yarborough had been seen at the shooting location. Police say they also later determined that Yarborough's fingerprints were on the weapon dropped by the suspect who shot Officer Wagner.

Police located Yarborough in the city of Arlington on Tuesday evening. The 31 year old has an extensive criminal history, including convictions for Burglary, Possession of a Controlled Substance, Possession of a Firearm and Aggravated Robbery. He had just been released on parole in January.

Meanwhile, Officer Wagner remains hospitalized. A DPD spokesman said the Senior Corporal is still "in a lot of pain" but continues to recover.

During the Tuesday morning press conference Chief Brown said, "We feel so lucky that we are able to survive this and Officer Wagner can rehabilitate in the hospital and at home later."

Also Check Out:

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.