Watch CBS News

Frank James, subject of manhunt in New York City subway mass shooting, has ties to Milwaukee and traveled through Chicago

Frank James, person of interest in NYC subway mass shooting, traveled through Chicago 02:54

MILAWUKEE (CBS Chicago/CBS New York) -- Frank James, the subject of a nationwide manhunt in a mass shooting on the New York City subway Tuesday morning, had ties to Milwaukee.

James, 62, remained at large Tuesday night.

James most recently was reported to have lived in Philadelphia. But his name is on a mailbox at a specific Milwaukee address with a forwarding address to a P.O. box. CBS 2's Jermont Terry reported James lived in the Milwaukee duplex as recently as last month.

Witnesses and neighbors near the Milwaukee address said they were familiar with James.

Jermont Terry/CBS 2

It was not clear Tuesday night when James' request to have all his mail forwarded first popped up. But on social media, James posted several videos on various topics – including what the NYPD called "concerning posts" about New York City.

One video places James in Milwaukee and traveling through Chicago just three weeks ago – as he likely drove back to the East Coast. That video is dated Sunday, March 20.

"And so as I leave the state of Wisconsin, about to be back in the state of Illinois, all I can say is good riddance," James says on the video.

He later reports on the video that he is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, with the goal of getting to Philadelphia the following Tuesday.

The New York City subway attack happened around 8:24 a.m. Eastern time on a Manhattan-bound N train approaching the 36th Street station in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.

The gunman fired 33 shots from a Glock 17 that jammed, preventing further injury, police said. Officials said 10 people were shot and 13 more were injured.

Police said James rented a U-Haul van that might be connected to the shooting. 

Police recovered a bag filled with smoke bombs, hobby fuse, a hatchet as well as gasoline and a key to U-Haul van in the subway. 

Police say a man wearing a utility vest strapped on a gas mask and detonated two smoke bombs inside the moving train car, and then opened fire. The gunman emptied several magazines' worth of ammunition.

Police later found the Glock-like handgun in the subway station.

But James remained at large Tuesday night. Anyone who sees him or knows of his whereabouts should call 911.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.