Gas Explosion Levels Strip Club In Downtown Springfield
SPRINGFIELD (CBS) - Eighteen people were injured in a natural gas explosion in Springfield Friday night. The explosion damaged several buildings including Scores Gentlemen's Club, which was leveled.
Firefighters and workers from Columbia Gas were in the area responding to reports of a gas leak. The area was evacuated prior to the explosion that happened around 5:30pm.
Windows were blown out at several businesses in the area.
"The whole building shook," says Victor Bruno who owns Adolfo's Restaurant. "They evacuated the whole area, they shut down every business. It's just a lot of chaos."
Nine firefighters, four Columbia Gas employees, a Water and Sewer employee, two police officers and two civilians were injured in the explosion.
"This is a miracle on Worthington Street that no one was killed," said Lt. Governor Tim Murray.
WBZ-TV's Christina Hager reports
None of the injuries are said to be life-threatening.
The explosion was felt in several neighboring towns.
for more features.