Watch CBS News

Elderly Woman Burned In Hyannis Fire Dies

BARNSTABLE, Mass. (AP) — An 84-year-old woman severely burned in a blaze at her Hyannis apartment building, that may have started when Halloween decorations caught fire, has died.

A spokeswoman at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston says Helen Levesque died Wednesday.

Authorities say Levesque suffered burns over 80 percent of her body in the blaze late Monday night that sent five other people to the hospital.

Fourteen units at Hyannis House Apartments were damaged.

State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan says a preliminary investigation shows that the fire was accidental, probably started in Halloween decorations, including bales of hay and electrical lights, displayed on the deck outside Levesque's third-floor apartment.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.