MARSHFIELD (CBS) – A Quincy couple has been indicted on charges in the death of their infant daughter in Marshfield two years ago.
Five-month-old Mya Barry died of opiate poisoning on September 23, 2011 after drinking from a bottle containing baby formula and heroin, prosecutors said.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030's Carl Stevens reports
DA: Heroin In Baby Bottle Caused Marshfield Infant's 2011 Death
EMTs found Barry on the living room floor of the family's apartment on Castle Green. She was described as being cold to the touch, not breathing, and her pupils were fixed and dilated. CPR was unsuccessful, and Barry died at the hospital.
At the time, police say they found three grams of heroin and hypodermic needles on a shelf of a small bedroom shared by the baby, her parents and two other young children.
Her parents, Ryan Barry, 30, and Ashley Cyr, 26, were both arrested at their current home in Quincy. Both are charged with manslaughter, and Cyr faces a reckless endangerment charge as well.
During their arraignments on Friday in Brockton Superior Court, prosecutors said Mya Barry was born addicted to heroin because her mother had used the drug for the duration of her pregnancy.
They say Cyr and Barry's heroin use was daily up until their baby's death. The couple is accused of snorting heroin from the pages of a Dr. Seuss book and then leaving the book on the floor.
Both pleaded not guilty to the charges. The judge set bail $200,000.
MORE LOCAL NEWS FROM CBS BOSTON
for more features.