BOSTON (CBS) - After a flurry of conflicting media reports Wednesday afternoon, federal, state and local authorities said there has been no arrest in the Boston Marathon bombings.
"Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack," Boston Police tweeted at 2:36 p.m.
"Contrary to widespread reporting, no arrest has been made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting," FBI spokesperson Katherine Gulotta said in a statement.
CNN had reported an arrest and the Associated Press stated that a suspect was taken into custody and was expected at a Boston courthouse.
Boston Mayor Tom Menino told WBZ-TV Chief Correspondent Joe Shortsleeve that authorities told him that "they are close to identifying a suspect in the marathon bombings."
WHITE MALE ON VIDEO
However, CBS News correspondent Bob Orr reported Wednesday afternoon that authorities have identified at least one person they want to speak with, either as a witness or as a possible suspect, from surveillance video.
The man sought as a possible suspect is a white male, wearing white baseball cap on backwards, a gray hoodie and a black jacket, according to CBS News.
Several media outlets reported that a suspect had been identified from surveillance video taken at the Lord & Taylor store on Boylston Street. The store is between the sites of the two bomb blasts, which killed three people and wounded more than 170.
Orr said authorities have video of a man in a black jacket on a cell phone, wearing a gray hoodie and a white baseball cap backwards placing a black bag at the second bomb site outside of the Forum restaurant on Boylston Street and then leaving the area before that explosion.
Orr said the man was on the phone at the second bomb site when the first bomb exploded.
Orr said the FBI determined the time the man was on his cell phone, then went back and scanned all the calls made in the area to track who they wanted to talk to.
FEDERAL COURT BOMB THREAT
As the reports of a possible arrest started to circulate, a crowd started to form outside the federal courthouse in South Boston in anticipation of a suspect being brought in.
Then, the court was evacuated just after 3 p.m.
According to WBZ-TV's Karen Anderson, a bomb threat was called in.
"Code red, everyone out!" blared over the courthouse loudspeakers, Anderson said, as she was inside the building.
Heavily armed police surrounded the building and bomb sniffing dogs were brought in.
for more features.