BOSTON (AP) - The Boston Archdiocese says four inactive priests have been defrocked after decades-old allegations of child sexual abuse.
Cardinal Sean O'Malley announced Monday the removal of Robert F. Daly, John Keane, Robert Knapp and Benjamin McMahon. None had been in active ministry since the 1980s. Their whereabouts were not disclosed.
The statement said Keane pleaded guilty in 2008 charges including indecent assault and battery on a child under 14, and had been absent without permission since 1989. Daly took leave in 1984, and was accused later. Knapp was accused in 1985, and has been absent without permission since 1988. McMahon took leave in 1986 and was suspended when he was accused in 1991.
The Survivors Network of Those Accused by Priests said the church should keep accused clergy securely away from the public rather than simply dismissing them.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
for more features.