Watch CBS News

Morgan State student charged in death of security guard outside nearby apartment

Morgan State student charged in death of security guard outside nearby apartment
Morgan State student charged in death of security guard outside nearby apartment 03:02

BALTIMORE -- A Morgan State University student has been charged in the death of a 19-year-old security guard at an apartment complex near campus last month.

Chase Marco Wilson, a 21-year-old from Accokeek, is charged with first-degree murder in the murder of Julian Fruh.

Police said Fruh, who was employed by Allied Universal, a security company contracted by the apartment complex, was shot in the head shortly after 9 p.m. on Aug. 31 in the 4400 block of Marble Hall Road near the Marble Hall Apartments. He died in the hospital. 

Chase Marco Wilson, 21, of Accokeek Baltimore Police

Morgan State officials told WJZ that Wilson is a sophomore enrolled as a student at Morgan State at the time of the shooting. 

Wilson was a transfer student from Virginia Union University where he spent his first year in college. He transferred to Morgan State for his second year of undergrad where he was studying business administration.

Casarra Abeasi, a junior at Morgan State who lives at Marble Hall, said that in the aftermath of the shooting security measures have increased at the apartment complex. 

Abeasi said she has noticed more MSU Police presence along with more Baltimore City Police and Allied Security Guards. 

She also said the complex gate has been fixed. Before August 31, the gates never locked. 

"These gates, they would just open, but now you have to be buzzed in," she said.

Charging documents revealed Fruh was walking in the parking lot at the end of his shift when someone approached him and shot him multiple times before taking off. 

Fruh's co-worker called 911, but after he was taken to Johns Hopkins, he was pronounced dead.

"I thought it was just an outside conflict. I didn't think it was anything to do with Morgan," Abeasi said.

Officers at the scene found Fruh to have marijuana and a digital scale with suspected marijuana residue.

According to the police investigation, on August 31, surveillance footage showed Fruh on his cellphone in the parking lot when a male in a light blue hooded sweatshirt and blue shorts approached him.

Detectives believe the two were talking with each other on the phone, and when they met, Fruh was then shot by another person.

The next day, officers obtained a search warrant for an apartment in the complex. Officers found a blue Nike jacket that the alleged shooter was wearing, and he was identified as Wilson.

Charging documents say Fruh had purchased marijuana from a student at Morgan State.

A witness told police that Fruh was talking and texting with the suspected shooter before he was shot.

The witness gave detectives the code on the phone who found a text message between Fruh and the suspected shooter, which said "T" with Wilson's cellphone number. A minute after that text, Fruh was shot.

Wilson was arrested Monday in downtown Baltimore at the 200 block of Water Street.

But Abeasi said students living at Marble Hall aren't allowed to have any alcohol or drugs inside their rooms. "We are a dry campus and we have room checks every week...resident assistants and resident directors will come in and make sure there's no alcohol and no weed." 

WJZ learned Fruh recently started his first job working security for Allied Universal.

"[He] was just starting to figure his life out, and he was headed in the right direction with so much potential," a relative of Fruh told WJZ investigator Mike Hellgren. "He's not the type of person to hurt anyone... not a confrontational person at all. He was a very loving and quiet type that stayed to himself and tried to do good things."

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.