Watch CBS News

Stockbridge councilwoman reveals allegation involving mayor and 11th grader; judge declines to remove her from hearing

A judge will not stop the Stockbridge City Council from moving ahead with a hearing Saturday that could determine Mayor Jayden Williams' future in office. 

During an explosive Thursday hearing, Chief Judge Holly W. Veal rejected his latest attempt to keep Councilwoman LaKeisha Gantt from helping decide the case.

Williams' attorney argued that Gantt had already made up her mind about the allegations against the mayor. The attorney cited text messages, emails and Facebook comments in which Gantt discussed the accusations and urged Williams' grandmother to consider asking him to resign.

Gantt testified that city officials told the council about an allegation of sexual misconduct involving Williams and an 11th-grade student who was believed to have participated in a mentorship or ambassador program connected to the mayor.

Gantt said the council was told the student was 18 at the time of the report, but that some communication may have occurred when the student was 17. She acknowledged that she did not know that firsthand and had not spoken with the student or police about the allegation.

screenshot-2026-08-21-at-12-19-39-pm.png
Stockbridge Councilwoman LaKeisha Gantt testifies Thursday in Henry County Superior Court about whether she can fairly participate in a hearing that could determine Mayor Jayden Williams' future in office. CBS News Atlanta

No evidence establishing the allegation was presented during Thursday's court hearing. Williams has denied wrongdoing.

Gantt testified that the allegation raised concerns about the city's possible responsibility because of the reported connection to the mentorship program. She said that concern led her to support an independent investigation and temporarily limit the mayor's contact with minors while the claims were reviewed.

Despite her previous comments, Gantt said she has not decided whether any of the allegations are true and can make a fair decision after reviewing the evidence.

"I know that I can be fair and impartial," Gantt said. "I'm waiting on the evidence."

Gantt also said she would remove herself from the proceedings if she later believed she could not make a fair decision.

Williams' attorney asked the judge to prevent Gantt from participating in the City Council's public hearing Saturday or postpone the hearing until the city created a way to address concerns about a council member's impartiality.

The city argued that Gantt's previous knowledge of the allegations and her vote to open an investigation did not prove that she had already decided the case. Attorneys for the city also pointed to written procedures requiring council members to base their decisions only on evidence presented during the hearing.

screenshot-2026-08-21-at-1-18-26-pm.png
Stockbridge Mayor Jayden Williams attends a hearing Thursday in Henry County Superior Court, where a judge declined to stop a City Council hearing that could determine his future in office. CBS News Atlanta

The judge denied Williams' request to add the dispute over Gantt to his lawsuit. The judge also stated that the hearing officer has the authority to decide procedural questions, including a request to remove a council member from the decision-making process.

Williams' attorney said he planned to seek a pause while he appeals the ruling, but the judge declined.

The City Council's investigative hearing remains scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday. Former Fulton County Chief Magistrate Judge Gino Brogdon Sr. was appointed to oversee the hearing, rule on evidence and maintain order. He will not participate in the council's private discussions or vote on the mayor's future.

The council has accused Williams of misusing city money, abusing his authority and sexual misconduct. The claims remain allegations. Williams has denied wrongdoing and said he wants a fair, open and transparent process.

The council previously suspended Williams' access to city purchasing and fuel cards, city vehicles and certain nonpublic areas while an independent investigator reviewed the allegations. Williams was 22 when elected, making him the youngest mayor in Stockbridge history. He turned 23 on Thursday. 

A city spokesperson told CBS News Atlanta that Williams has been given key card access to his office area, allowing him to enter without a city-designated staff member. He cannot bring guests or visitors into the building and still does not have access to city vehicles.

The Stockbridge legislative delegation and Georgia state Sen. Emmanuel Jones have asked Gov. Brian Kemp to request a separate GBI investigation into the allegations. 

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue