Watch CBS News

Texas woman accused in death of pro cyclist Anna Moriah Wilson fled to NYC, federal officials say

The search continued Wednesday for a woman suspected in the fatal shooting of professional cyclist Anna Moriah Wilson at an Austin home, and federal officials said the suspect apparently traveled to New York days after the killing.

Wilson, 25, was found dead May 11. Austin police issued a murder warrant for Kaitlin Marie Armstrong, 34, last week.

Investigators believe Armstrong was at the Austin International Bergstrom Airport on May 14 at approximately 12:30 p.m., officials said. She boarded a flight to Houston, and then boarded a connecting flight to New York's LaGuardia Airport, the U.S. Marshals Service said Wednesday.

Photo of Kaitlin Armstrong. U.S. Marshals

Wilson, a competitive gravel and mountain bike racer and Vermont native, had been in Austin for a cycling event. According to an affidavit, Wilson had previously dated Armstrong's boyfriend, cyclist Colin Strickland, who has cooperated with investigators and is not a suspect.

According to the affidavit, Armstrong's SUV was seen on surveillance video outside the home where Wilson was found shot to death. Police questioned Armstrong on May 13, but the warrant for her arrest wasn't issued until May 19.

When asked May 13 about the vehicle, Armstrong "continued to remain very still and guarded," then asked to leave and was allowed to do so, the affidavit said. She has not been seen since and her social media accounts were deleted, the affidavit said.

Armstrong was last seen on surveillance video "wearing a blue denim jacket, black shirt with a pink design on the chest, white jeans, black and white tennis shoes, a black COVID mask, and a possible yoga mat carrier on her shoulders," U.S. Marshals said.

Armstrong's father, Michael Armstrong, told ABC's "Good Morning America" in an interview that was broadcasted on Tuesday that he doesn't believe that his daughter could have killed Wilson. He said there are many "unanswered questions" about what happened.

"I know her. I know how she thinks and I know what she believes. And I know that she just would not do something like this," Michael Armstrong said.

Wilson's family said she had recently decided to move from San Francisco back to Vermont, and the family said in a statement that she was not in a relationship with anyone at the time of her death.

"There are no words that can express the pain and suffering we are experiencing due to this senseless, tragic loss," the family said in a statement. "Moriah was a talented, kind and caring young woman. Her life was taken from her before she had the opportunity to achieve everything she dreamed of."

Armstrong  is 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighs about 125 pounds. Anyone with information on her whereabouts is urged to contact the U.S. Marshals Service at 1-800-336-0102.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.