Meteorologist Kristin Emery joined the KDKA team in 2012 and is happy to be back home with family in Southwestern Pennsylvania. Kristin was born and raised in "little" Washington, graduated from Washington High School and earned her journalism degree at West Virginia University.
She started her weather career at WTOV-TV in Steubenville, Ohio, before moving on to forecast weather and report and anchor news at stations in Florida, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina and Ohio. Kristin loves news reporting and telling people's stories, but her true love is forecasting the weather.
She completed her meteorological studies at Mississippi State University. She is an award-winning reporter and was nominated for an Emmy for her work covering the deadly tornado outbreak in Alabama in 2011.
Through the years, she has reported on everything from politics to sports to medicine, and covered every kind of weather event you can imagine including floods, blizzards, ice storms, mudslides, tornadoes and hurricanes. She cites Hurricane Andrew in Florida as one of her most memorable stories.
She is a member of the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Association and holds seals of approval from both. Kristin is also a fellow of the RIAS Berlin Commission through RTDNA and reported from Germany on the 60th anniversary of the Berlin Airlift, issues surrounding German reunification and the formation of the European Union.
When she's not forecasting the weather, Kristin is outside enjoying it on the ski slopes, scuba diving and golfing. Kristin's favorite hobbies include travel and following Pittsburgh and WVU sports teams.
- Joined KDKA: 2012
- Hometown: Washington, Pa.
- Alma Mater: Washington High School, West Virginia University, Mississippi State University
- Music: U2, Billy Joel, Bruno Mars, reggae & blues
- Movie: "Working Girl", "Gone With The Wind", "The Sting", "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid", "Bourne Identity", anything by Mel Brooks!
- TV Show: "Bates Motel", "Elementary", "Fixer Upper"
- Book: "On The Road" by Charles Kuralt
- Hobbies:Skiing, Scuba Diving, Golf, Travel
- Sports Team: Steelers, Penguins, Pirates, WVU Mountaineers
- Food: Chocolate ice cream all day long!
- Local Restaurant: Al n Ruben's in Washington, Peter Allen's, The Carlton
- Hidden PA Gem: Hidden Valley Ski Resort- not as much attention as big brother 7 Springs but just as fun!
- Sport/Exercise: Skiing, golf, walking, dancing
- Historical Figure: Abraham Lincoln
- Favorite Pennsylvanian: Jimmy Stewart
- Quote: "Never, never, never give up." ― Winston Churchill
- Word: Shenanigans
- Vacation Spot: The Caribbean and Europe
- Holiday: Christmas Eve.
- Guilty Pleasure: Binge watching HGTV's "Caribbean Life" and an occasional splurge of potato chips and French onion dip!
- Planet: Mars
THIS OR THAT
- Facebook or Twitter? Twitter
- Cats or Dogs? Dogs, but I am allergic to both!
- Beatles or Rolling Stones? Stones!
- Comedy or Tearjerker? Comedy
- Phone Call or Text Message? Text
- Mac or PC? PC
- Coffee or Tea? Coffee, but I love them both!
- Paper or Plastic? I try to bring my own reusable grocery tote bags.
- Morning Person or Night Person? Night except when I am on the morning news broadcasts!
- East Coast or West Coast? East Coast, but I love to visit out west
- Star Trek or Star Wars? Star Wars
for more features.