HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP/KDKA) -- Pittsburgh's suburbs are under the microscope again in a state Senate election that may serve as an early test of President Donald Trump's strength ahead of his 2020 reelection bid in a critical battleground state.
The open Pennsylvania Senate seat is in territory historically influenced by Republican-leaning neighborhoods outside the Steel City but is viewed as increasingly friendly to Democrats.
Tuesday's special election pits Republican D. Raja against Democrat Pam Iovino for a seat largely controlled by Republicans the past 50 years. He's the chairman and chief executive of an information technology consulting firm. She's a Navy veteran who served in a top U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs post.
Trump won the district by 6 percentage points in 2016. But Democratic Gov. Tom Wolf won it by a double-digit margin in 2018.
The polls open at 7 a.m. Tuesday, and close at 8 p.m. As long as you're in line by the time they close, you should still be allowed to vote.
There have been eight polling place changes for this special election:
- Bethel Park: Ward 6, District 2 at Bethel Masonic Hall, Wilamit St entrance, 3601 Industrial Blvd
- Bethel Park: Ward 6, District 3 at The Residence at Logan, 5851 Keystone Drive
- Edgeworth: Ward 0, District 1 at Edgeworth Elementary School, 200 Meadow Lane
- Edgeworth: Ward 0, District 2 at Edgeworth Elementary School, 200 Meadow Lane
- Moon: Ward 0, District 7 at Potomac Air Lodge 1976, 228 Moon Clinton Road
- Moon: Ward 0, District 9 at Potomac Air Lodge 1976, 228 Moon Clinton Road
- Upper St. Clair: Ward 3, District 1 at McLaughlin Rec Center, 1770 McLaughlin Run Road
- Upper St. Clair: Ward 3, District 3 at McLaughlin Rec Center, 1770 McLaughlin Run Road
For much more information on the Special Election, visit Allegheny County's website at this link.
(TM and © Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
for more features.