Watch CBS News

Report: Man Escapes Home-Destroying Fire Uninjured

BUTLER COUNTY (KDKA) -- A man is uninjured after he escaped a fire that severely damaged his Jefferson Township home Saturday morning.

The Butler Eagle reports that firefighters responded to the scene around 2:30 a.m. at a home in the 200-block of Hannahstown Road. The scene was cleared around 6:40 a.m.

According to the Butler Eagle, homeowner John McKernan escaped out a first-floor window and was uninjured.

Saxonburg Volunteer Fire Company chief Chris Ballina told the Butler Eagle that McKernan woke up in his bedroom and went to change the setting on his air conditioner because he felt warm. Ballina says it was then that McKernan smelled smoke and when he went into the hallway, he saw flames. McKernan escaped out a window and called 911. According to Ballina, McKernan's wife was not at home at the time of the fire.

Officials determined the fire started in the basement and was caused by faulty wiring. Ballina told the Butler Eagle the house is a total loss and will have to be demolished.

Join The Conversation On The KDKA Facebook Page
Stay Up To Date, Follow KDKA On Twitter


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.