Watch CBS News

McKeesport Mayor Michael Cherepko Commends Police Department Response To Shooting Of Officer

By: KDKA-TV News Staff

MCKEESPORT (KDKA) - The mayor of McKeesport Michael Cherepko commended the McKeesport Police Department for their efforts following the shooting of Patrolman Geriasimo Athans.


  • Police Officer Shot In McKeesport, Allegheny County Police Searching For Suspect
  • Authorities Search For Koby Francis, Suspect Accused Of Shooting McKeesport Police Officer
  • Local Leaders Offer Support To McKeesport Police After Officer Injured In Shooting
  • Manhunt Continues For 22-Year-Old Koby Francis, Accused Suspect In Shooting Of McKeesport Police Officer
  • 'There Is A Danger To The Community': Manhunt Intensifies For Koby Francis After Shooting Of McKeesport Officer Gerasimos Athans
  • Police Accused Of Executing Aggressive, Warrantless Searches In Hunt For McKeesport Officer Shooting Suspect Koby Francis
  • Police Charge Four Individuals In Obstructing Search Of Suspected McKeesport Police Shooter Koby Francis
  • Koby Francis, Accused Suspect In Shooting Of McKeesport Police Officer, Taken Into Custody In West Virginia
  • Extradition Hearing Set For Koby Francis, Man Accused Of Shooting McKeesport Police Officer
  • In a report from the Mon Valley Independent, during a city council meeting, Mayor Cherepko thanked the police for keeping McKeesport safe.

    "I have Chief (Adam) Alfer with us here tonight and I'll continue to commend our police department for all their efforts as they continue to work each and every day to keep our neighborhoods safe, to make McKeesport a safer place to live," Cherepko said during the meeting. "Each of them, most of them, have significant others at home. All of them have somebody in some sort or another that just dreads the day that a call may come in."

    He said that the shooting of Patrolman Athans could have been one of those calls.

    "We came close to that this last month," he said. "We were very fortunate that everyone is safe, officer Athans is going to make a full recovery and we appreciate the response of our police officers and reacting so unbelievably quickly to the call of a PFA violation that Mr. Francis was violating."

    Koby Francis was taken into custody in West Virginia on January 5, nine days after the shooting.

    He is awaiting extradition from West Virginia and is facing several charges.

    View CBS News In
    CBS News App Open
    Chrome Safari Continue
    Be the first to know
    Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.