Watch CBS News

Hill District Home Uninhabitable After 2-Alarm Fire

Follow KDKA-TV: Facebook | Twitter

HILL DISTRICT (KDKA) -- A family of four lost everything Sunday evening after a fire destroyed their Hill District home.

The fire broke out on Ledlie Street near Cliff Street just before 6 p.m. and moved to two alarms with a small army of firefighters at work.

The fast-moving fire, homeowner Kenneth Prince says, started in the kitchen and quickly spread. Prince had been cooking French fries with his grandson and went into the living room to check on the Steelers game.

"[I heard] like a poof and I went in to see what was up," Prince said.

Prince said the stove had caught fire and flames almost immediately spread to the ceiling and walls. It spread so quickly, they knew they had to get out.

hill district fire
(Photo Credit: KDKA)

Police say four people were in the home when the blaze started. Everyone was evacuated safely and no one was injured.

Prince thinks he may have tried to douse a grease fire with water, which made things worse.

"I guess when I threw the water on it, it just went up the wall in the back," he said.

According to officials, the fire spread to all three floors of the home. It has been declared uninhabitable.

The Red Cross is assisting, along with neighbors.

The investigation is ongoing.


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.