Watch CBS News

Dog Alerts Owner To Smoke Before Fire Breaks Out At McKees Rocks Apartment

By: KDKA-TV News Staff

MCKEES ROCKS, Pa. (KDKA) - A dog helped save the day after a fire tore through an apartment in McKees Rocks.

Crews were on the scene of George Street in McKees Rocks late Thursday afternoon for a fire. Flames could be seen blazing inside, and there was thick, black smoke pouring from the windows.

mckees rocks fire
(Photo: KDKA Photojournalist Tim Lawson)

There's a business, Carol Ann's Corner Store, below the apartment.

The fire chief tells KDKA that a dog in the apartment alerted its owner to the smoke, and both of them were able to get out of the home safely.

mckees rock fire dog
(Photo: KDKA Photojournalist Tim Lawson)

There's no word on how the fire started.

Stay with KDKA for the latest on this developing story.

EMERGENCY COMPONENT - LOCAL

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.