Watch CBS News

Southwest Airlines Passengers Recall Harrowing Ordeal In Sky When Engine Blows, Taking Out Window

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) -- Some passengers thought they weren't going to make it when a Southwest Airlines flight had to make an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport when an engine blew out on Tuesday.

According to federal investigators, the left engine blew and pieces went flying, taking out the passenger window just behind the wing.

Passenger Marty Martinez, who went live on Facebook during the emergency landing, told CBSN that it was a "terrifying" experience.

Something is wrong with our plane! It appears we are going down! Emergency landing!! Southwest flight from NYC to Dallas!!

Posted by Marty Martinez on Tuesday, April 17, 2018

"The engine exploded and it broke a window," said Martinzez, adding that a woman was injured and there was "blood everywhere." One passenger did die in the incident.

"First there was an explosion and almost immediately, the oxygen masks came down and, probably in a matter of 10 seconds, the engine then hit a window and busted it wide open," he said.

Southwest Flight Emergency Landing

BREAKING: Chopper 3 is over the scene of the Philadelphia International Airport where a Southwest Airlines flight from NYC to Dallas made an emergency landing after reports of an engine fire. DETAILS:

Posted by CBS Philly on Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Martinez said it felt like the plane was free-falling.

"We were probably going down for 10 or 15 minutes. And, of course, everyone is freaking out, everyone is crying. It was the scariest experience," he told CBSN.

Martinez stated that flight attendants told them to brace for landing.

"I thought it was going to be our last few moments on earth," said Martinez.

Dallas native Matt Tranchin, 34, told CBS3 that flight attendants rushed over to help a passenger who appeared severely injured.

"It looked like they were trying to cover the hole in the plane, unsuccessfully," said Tranchin.

While on a sharp descent, Tranchin spent the next few minutes texting his family that he loved them and goodbye, including his pregnant wife.

"My wife is in her third trimester with our first child, so I spent a lot of my time trying to articulate what I wanted my final words to be to my unborn child," said Tranchin.

While officials confirm one woman died, Tranchin and the other 142 passengers on board landed safely at the airport.

They were held inside a secured area of the airport, where they spent the afternoon answering questions, reflecting on what could have happened. For Tranchin, he was planning on what he'll do when he finally gets home.

"Hold my wife, my parents, my loved ones and treat every day like it could be my last," said Tranchin.

The plane was flying from New York's LaGuardia Airport to Dallas when the incident happened.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.