NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- Huma Abedin, a longtime aid to Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, is in the spotlight after a FBI investigation surrounding the politician's use of a private email server while she was Secretary of State.
The investigation appears to center on a laptop belonging to Anthony Weiner, the disgraced former congressman and estranged husband of Abedin, who is at the center of several sexting scandals which led to a federal investigation.
Here is what you need to know about Abedin:
- Abedin was born in Michigan in 1976, but spent most of her childhood in Saudi Arabia, returning to the United States to attend George Washington University when she was 18.
- Abedin began her career in the White House in 1996, working for Clinton as an intern when she served as First Lady. In 2009, Abedin was appointed deputy Chief of Staff while Clinton served as Secretary of State. She also served as vice chairwoman for Clinton's presidential campaign in 2015-2016, and serves as a long-time adviser to the politician.
- Abedin married former congressman Anthony Weiner in 2010. The wedding was officiated by former President Bill Clinton. They have one child, a boy named Jordan Zain Weiner.
- Abedin announced her separation from Weiner in August 2016, following the surface of another alleged sexting scandal between the politician and an underage girl. Abedin has stayed with Weiner following a prior sexting scandal that erupted in 2011.
- Abedin testified before the House Committee on Benghazi in 2015, another hotly-debate issue early in Clinton's campaign.
for more features.