Watch CBS News

Viral 'Turkey Slurpee' Stunt Can Be Dangerous, Doctors Warn

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- The "Turkey Slurpee" is a popular trick involving slurping up a slice of cold-cut meat, and more and more people are posting videos online to demonstrate their facility at it.

But as CBS2's Weijia Jiang reported, the trick could land you in the hospital.

Lacey Sessions, 29, appears on video rapidly inhaling a slice of turkey in the trick that she named the Turkey Slurpee.

"You just put the turkey over your mouth, and suck it in, and it goes down," she said.

After Sessions posted videos on social media, the Turkey Slurpee Challenge went viral. Many people – mostly teenagers – tried and failed for the most part. They often choked.

Tonight by phone, CBS2 asked Sessions what the point of the trick is.

"The point really is just to have fun – that's all. Just fun and games," she said.

But emergency room doctor Robert Glatter, of Lenox Hill Hospital, said there is nothing fun or funny about a Turkey Slurpee.

"No one should try this," Dr. Glatter said.

Glatter said he recently treated a 15-year-old girl from New York who tried it, but ended up unable to breathe.

"We actually had to use manual forceps to remove the meat that was caught in the back of the throat," Glatter said. "The result could be choking; could be something that leads to a seizure or even brain damage."

Many teens who talked to CBS2 were stunned to see the stunt. They said they do not want to test it out.

"You can get five seconds of fame, but you could lose your life in five seconds as well," said Kymora Pruitt of the Upper West Side.

Sessions even made a tutorial in which she says, "Don't try this at home." But doctors advised not to try it ever.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.