Watch CBS News

NYPD Det. Wilbert Mora Honored With Hero's Funeral At St. Patrick's Cathedral

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- Family, friends and fellow officers gathered Wednesday for an emotional farewell to NYPD Det. Wilbert Mora.

Thousands of officers lined the streets in front of St. Patrick's Cathedral, forming a sea of blue to show their support. Inside, the pews were filled shoulder to shoulder, as family members held each other hearing the eulogies.

WATCH: Mayor Eric Adams Delivers Eulogy At Det. Mora's Funeral 

"Let us pray for Officer Mora and for his family and friends. Their pain is our pain," Mayor Eric Adams said. "Officer Mora was not only a public servant, but an exceptional young man."

Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell posthumously promoted Mora to detective during the ceremony.

"He absolutely loved this job. With a kind, gentle soul and an infectious laugh, he cared deeply about his family and truly valued his friends," Sewell said.

WATCH: Det. Mora's Brother Delivers Eulogy During Funeral 

The 27-year-old was the youngest child of a tight-knit Dominican family. They emigrated to New York when he was 7.

"I just want you to know that I was always proud of you. You chose a life of service to your community and to our adopted country," said his older brother, Wilson.

"Your son is a true American hero. But more importantly than that, you are a true American hero family and every police officer from around the world that packs this cathedral and line that street and will leave our city and go to their towns will go with faith that if I can do half of what he did in his short life, we will have led a strong life," Police Benevolent Association President Pat Lynch said.

PHOTOS: NYPD Det. Wilbert Mora Honored With Hero's Funeral

Colleagues describe Mora as a gentle giant, humble and kind, someone who was always on time and always made time for his brothers in blue, CBS2's Jessica Moore reported.

"Even among the city's skyscrapers, scaffolding and buildings, at 6 feet, 3 inches tall, Police Officer Wilbert Mora was still a giant. His mother called him 'King Kong' and her strapping big boy," Sewell said.

"If you're going through a hard time and needed a friend to lean on or a shoulder to cry on, no matter what time day or night Wilbert would be on FaceTime lending that support. And he was also very generous with his hugs. The leader that he is, Wilbert looked out for the new officers in the precinct," 32nd Precinct Commanding Officer Amir Yakatally said.

"I never got the chance to tell you how truly special I thought you were. I remember how you always lit up the room with your smile, always happy and mellow ... not an ounce of meanness in your whole body," Wilson Mora said.

Mora graduated from John Jay College of Criminal Justice with a bachelor's degree in 2018 -- the same year he joined the NYPD. He had 35 arrests on his record and aspirations to become a sergeant.

Mora's flag-draped casket was transported to the historic cathedral Tuesday for his wake, as loved ones and even strangers offered their sympathy.

"My heart goes out to the Mora family, the Rivera family, for doing God's work," Clinton Hill resident Patrick Toussaint said.

"It's sad, it's very sad," said one woman, who couldn't fight back her tears while paying her respects. Asked why she came, she replied, "It's the right thing to do."

It has been less than a week since New York buried another young hero, Mora's 22-year-old partner, Det. Jason Rivera.

As CBS2's Dick Brennan reports, Mora's sister Karina spoke with a passion that everyone could understand about the awful violence and crime.

"How many Wilberts? How many Jasons? How many more officers should lose their lives so that this system changes?" she said in Spanish.

The mayor vowed things will be different.

"It is New Yorkers against the killers and we will not lose. We will protect our city," Adams said.

Mora and Rivera answered a domestic violence call last month in Harlem, but instead walked into an ambush. It's a tragic reminder what officers face and could sacrifice.

After being gravely wounded, Mora managed to hold on bravely for a few more days and was able to donate his organs. A hero until the very end, his final act of service and love saved the lives of five people.

CBS2's John Dias and Jessica Moore contributed to this report.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.