Watch CBS News

Man Released From Hospital After Being Severely Burned By E-Cigarette

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) -- A man who was severely burned when an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket was released from the hospital Sunday.

Upon his release from NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill-Cornell Medical Center, Otis Gooding, 31, spoke out about the freak accident last month at a wine shop in Grand Central Terminal while he was working.

The injuries occurred last Wednesday, Nov. 23, when the e-cig in his pocket burst into flames as he spoke with co-workers. On surveillance video, it looked like fireworks going off.

The burns to Gooding's leg were so severe that he required a skin graft and 51 staples.

"It was the scariest thing to ever happen. I see the sparks, so I knew something was wrong, so I was just trying to get it out of my pocket," Gooding said. "I'm in pain right now -- lots of pain. I'm not sure, I'm afraid of using my hand and walking."

Gooding goes back to the doctor on Tuesday. He said he will never use an e-cigarette again.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.