"I will never ever stop fighting for New York, as long as I have air in my lungs, that's what I love to do," Schumer said.
Schumer said the six new sites are nowhere near enough, and called on FEMA to add 100 mobile sites. He asked the agency to also consider locations on Long Island.
"We need testing. Testing is one of the best ways to beat this virus," he said.
WATCH: Mayor De Blasio Shares Update On COVID Testing Capacity In NYC
The city added seven city-run sites Wednesday, bringing the total of permanent and mobile sites to 119.
President Joe Biden has promised to help, as well, saying he will add federal emergency testing sites around the country.
"Before Christmas, the first several of these federal testing sites will be up and running in New York City," he announced Tuesday.
The president also said he is readying 1,000 military doctors, nurses and medics to help at hospitals inundated with infections, and ordering 500 million at-home tests that will be ready to send out in January.
"We can all be concerned about Omicron, but not panicked," Biden added.
FIND TESTING SITES: Click here for New York City's testing site locator, including mobile sites and at-home appointments
AVOID THE LINES: Click here for NYC Health+Hospitals testing wait times
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
Meantime, the New York City Health + Hospitals temporarily suspended patient visitations systemwide to protect its public hospital workers and patients from the variant.
There are exceptions, including when a visit is medically necessary, if a patient is in an end-of-life situation or in labor, a pediatric patient or an infant in the neonatal ICU. In those cases, visitors must show proof of vaccination or a negative test within 48 hours.
"We've had a recent outbreak in one of our hospitals that we think is related to visitors. Not of course their fault," said Dr. Mitch Katz. "There's so much transmission going on right now in New York City because of Omicron. So for a short while while we get the situation under control, we're going to have limited visitation."
Starting Thursday, five of the city's mobile testing locations will also hand out rapid tests to those who need them.
- Complete COVID Vaccine Coverage
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find NYC Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- CDC'S COVID Vaccine FAQ
- CDC's COVID Tracking Map By County
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
CBS2's Kiran Dhillon contributed to this report.
for more features.