Len and Dani Johnson met in the restaurant business, and eight years ago opened their own restaurant: Better Than Sex in Key West, Florida. The restaurant only serves desserts with a decidedly sensual flavor.
They offered "Sunday Morning" viewers a taste of their menu with this recipe for a sensual treat.
Recipe featured in the "Florida Keys & Key West Chef's Table" cookbook, written by Victoria Shearer and published by Lyons Press.
Sex Addict (White Chocolate & Strawberry Bread Pudding)
1/3 Cup / 3 oz. Butter
1 Loaf (16 oz.) Sourdough or White Bread, unsliced
10 oz. Frozen Strawberries (no added juices or sugar)
10 oz. White Chocolate Bar, chopped
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)
For Custard Filling:
1 1/4 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
12 oz. White Chocolate Chips
2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
3/4 Cups Sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Bean Extract
Directions for preparing layered (dry) ingredients, plus strawberries:
1. Spray 13 x 9-inch baking pan generously with Bakers Joy.
2. Cut bread roughly into 1-inch cubes.
3. Place bread into sprayed pan.
4. Sprinkle with frozen strawberries.
5. Sprinkle with 10 oz. of white chocolate chunks.
6. Sprinkle with the nutmeg.
7. Set aside.
Directions for preparing custard filling:
1. Beat 6 eggs with mixer until fluffy.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/4 cups of cream, melted butter and salt to a rolling boil. Remove from heat.
3. Add white chocolate chips and 3/4 cup sugar. Allow existing heat of cream to melt chocolate and sugar. Stir to combine using a whisk.
4. Gradually stir in remaining 2 cups cream to chocolate mixture.
5. Now SLOWLY add chocolate cream mixture to whipped eggs.
6. Add in vanilla extract.
7. Slowly pour over bread mixture working from the outside in.
8. Using a fork, press down on the bread pudding making sure to cover all bread with the custard mixture.
9. Cover and chill overnight (or at least 2 hours).
1. Preheat over to 325 degrees F.
2. Uncover bread pudding and place on foil-lined 1/2 sheet pan.
3. Bake for 70-80 minutes, or until instant read thermometer reads 180 degrees when inserted in center).
4. Cool on wire rack for at least 45 minutes.
For more info:
- Better Than Sex - A Dessert Restaurant, Key West, Fla.