ABUJA, Nigeria -- Security was extremely tight in Abuja, Nigeria, Thursday as the World Economic Forum on Africa kicked off.
Correspondent and CBS News contributor Debora Patta said her team had to pass through three heavily-armed security checkpoints in the span of just 20 minutes. About 5,000 security personnel were deployed across the capital.
The kidnapping of almost 300 schoolgirls by Islamic militant group Boko Haram near their stronghold in the northern Nigerian province of Borno -- and the lagging response to the incident by Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan -- has all eyes and significant global outrage focused on the west African nation.
Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau threatened to sell the girls into forced marriages in a chilling video posted online earlier this week.
President Jonathan opened the World Economic Forum Thursday by saying he believed "the kidnap of these girls will be the beginning of the end of terror in Nigeria."
Certainly, his government will have new resources to help combat the insurgent group; the U.S., U.K. and France have all agreed to send teams of experts to aid the Nigerian security and intelligence agencies in their effort to find and rescue the girls.
But the abductions have already become an embarrassment for Jonathan's government as family members accuse officials of being slow and inept in their reaction thus far.
"Over 200 hundred girls are abducted -- that is more important to us than hosting of the World Economic Forum," one parent said.
As the anger mounts, manifesting itself in daily protests across Nigeria where people demand tougher action against Boko Haram, the government confirmed Wednesday that the Islamic militants had launched another attack in a remote village near the border with Cameroon earlier in the week, possibly killing as many as 300 people when they opened fire with automatic weapons in a busy market.