Watch CBSN Live

Police confirm man killed in attack on London Muslims

LONDON -- London police have linked the death of a 51-year-old man to the mosque attack, saying he died of "multiple injuries" after a van plowed into worshippers near two mosques in north London.

Makram Ali was already receiving treatment for a medical episode when the attack occurred early Monday. Police had earlier said it was unclear whether he died as a result of an illness or from the attack. The statement Thursday identified Ali and said a special post-mortem examination found that he died of "multiple injuries."

Police say attack near London mosque was hate crime

Police have characterized the attack, which came as worshippers were leaving mosques after prayers marking the holy month of Ramadan, as a terrorist attack directed at Muslims.

Ali came to Britain from Bangladesh when he was 10 years old. His family described him as "a quiet, gentle man" who took comfort from "spending time with his wife, children and grandchildren."

British police confirmed on Tuesday that they were holding the lone suspect in the attack on suspicion of committing terrorism offenses.

Police have not formally charged or publically identified the 47-year-old man, but he has been identified by family and neighbors as Darren Osborne, from the Welsh city of Cardiff.

Terror attack near London mosque

He was initially arrested in the early hours of Monday, after being held by bystanders to the attack, on suspicion of attempted murder, but the latest statement from the London Metropolitan Police made it clear he was also likely to be charged with terrorism.

Some of Osborne's neighbors have described the father of four as "aggressive" and "strange" in interviews with British media, and a family member said he was a "troubled" man who had struggled with mental health issues recently, but insisted he was not a racist.

Witnesses said Osborne claimed he wanted to "kill all Muslims" after he drove into a crowd leaving a mosque early Monday morning.