If your Valentine's Day plans include staying in, I have an idea. What about impressing your sweetie with an easy, homemade craft cocktail?
Here are three recipes from a bartender whose own love life heated up in a kitchen -- Laurel Elm from Saint Dinette.
More "manly," but still a Valentine-forward drink …
• 1.5 ounces Old Overholt Rye
• .5 ounce Cointreau
• 2 slices of fresh blood orange
• 5 dashes of chocolate bitters
Muddle everything except rye in bottom of a pint glass. Add rye. Shake with ice and strain into rocks glass with new ice.
Sweeter, lady-forward drink (not that gentleman can't drink it too):
• 1.5 ounces Bombay Sapphire
• .5 ounce of Barenjager
• .5 ounce of POM juice
• .25 ounce gomme syrup (simple syrup)
• Shake with ice and strain into a coop
• Top with cava
• Elderflower and Rose Lemonade from Belvoir Farms (available at Lund's)
• POM Pomegranate juice float
• Garnish with a lemon twist.
About Saint Dinette
Laurel Elm is the General Manager of Saint Dinette, featuring French-inspired cuisine, and set to open in spring of 2015 in Lowertown St. Paul.
The owners describe Saint Dinette as "the neighborhood place with better food than you'd get at home, but not unlike the food you'd get at home."
for more features.