MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Authorities said a man was taken to the hospital after climbing a power pole and getting an electrical shock in Minneapolis early Wednesday morning.
Police responded to the area of 14th Avenue and 7th Street near the University of Minnesota sometime after 3 a.m. after the incident reportedly caused a power outage. Authorities had no information on why the man climbed up a power pole, but he received an electrical shock and at one point was on fire on the ground.
Police identified the man Wednesday afternoon as Steven McKinney of Plymouth.
Authorities said McKinney and a friend were walking to Dinkytown when he climbed up a utility pole, accidentally came in contact with live wires and was knocked to the ground.
The transformer on the pole blew up, knocking out power in the area
Police said McKinney is an experienced climber. He's now in critical condition at Hennepin County Medical Center.
for more features.