Watch CBS News

40 Arrested In The Twin Cities After 2nd Night Of Daunte Wright Protests

UPDATE (5 a.m.): Authorities say 40 people were arrested overnight in the Twin Cities for breaking curfew, fighting with police and attempted burglary during the second night of protests and unrest following the fatal police shooting of Daunte Wright. Some of those arrested were cited while others were booked into jail.

At least two businesses near the the Brooklyn Center Police Department were burglarized and looted: the Dollar Tree Store and a Speedway gas station. There were also reports of attempted break-ins in Minneapolis. Authorities described the looting overnight as "limited and sporadic in nature."

More than 1,000 Minnesota National Guard members are patrolling the streets alongside other state and local law enforcement officials until the metro-area curfew expires at 6 a.m. Officials say that some officers were hit with debris while clashing with demonstrators; a few suffered "minor injuries."

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) -- Hundreds of protesters gathered for a second night outside of the Brooklyn Center Police Department, one day after one of the city's officers shot and killed 20-year-old Daunte Wright during a traffic stop.

A curfew took effect Monday at 7 p.m. in Hennepin County, as well as Anoka, Dakota and Ramsey counties. Protesters were undeterred as they chanted outside of the department, which was fenced off. In addition to Brooklyn Center police officers, state troopers and members of the Minnesota National Guard were stationed outside of the police department.

WCCO's David Schuman reported that at about 7:45 p.m., a dispersal order was issued.

A second dispersal order was issued just after 8 p.m.

A third dispersal order was given at about 8:20 p.m., but to no avail.

Soon after, law enforcement began to deploy tear gas and flash bang canisters, some of which landed near an apartment building across from the police station.

Protesters starting launching fireworks towards law enforcement in response to their use of less-lethal weapons.

The amount of tear gas deployed by police soon pushed many in the crowd away from the front of the police station just before 9 p.m.

Just after 9 p.m., law enforcement began advancing on the crowd and firing rubber bullets. At about the same time, the Brooklyn Center City Council voted in favor of banning its police officers from using rubber bullets and chemical irritants for crowd control, as well as the crowd confinement technique called "kettling."

The crowd had thinned out a lot by 10:30 p.m., as law enforcement widened their perimeter.

Wright was pulled over for expired tabs Sunday afternoon, according to Police Chief Tim Gannon, and after officers learned of a warrant for his arrest, they asked him to exit his vehicle. Body camera footage released Monday showed Wright try to get back into his car after an officer attempted to handcuff him.

Another officer pulled out her gun and pointed it at Wright while yelling "Taser," the video shows. She then shot Wright before saying, "Holy s**t, I just shot him."

The officer has been placed on administrative leave and the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating Wright's death.

The incident resulted in clashes between protesters and police Sunday night. Looting and unrest also spilled into Minneapolis.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.