Watch CBS News

Furnace Blamed For Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Superior

SUPERIOR, Wis. (AP) — Authorities in Superior blame a malfunctioning furnace for sickening two people in an apartment with carbon monoxide.

WDIO-TV reports a carbon monoxide alarm came in after 3 a.m. Sunday. Firefighters found low levels of the odorless gas in the hallway, but the levels jumped in an apartment on the first floor.

Battalion Chief Erik Sutton says two adults in the apartment were taken to the hospital and found to be suffering from toxic levels of carbon monoxide. Their condition was stable as of Sunday morning.

Sutton said the apartment had a CO detector, but the battery had been removed. A CO alarm in a neighboring apartment alerted residents to the problem.

(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.