Watch CBS News

Daunte Wright Shooting: Minneapolis, St. Paul Among Metro Cities Voluntarily Extending Curfew

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) -- Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz says he will not be mandating an extension of the curfew that was put in place Monday following the fatal police shooting of Daunte Wright.

On Tuesday morning, Walz says that the state will not be mandating a curfew, but local governments can make that call on their own. The curfew was put in place in the Twin Cities area Monday at 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. Tuesday.

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey announced late Tuesday afternoon that his city would again will be under curfew, beginning 10 p.m. Tuesday and ending 6 a.m. Wednesday. Exceptions will be made for people traveling to or from work, emergency services, law enforcement, people seeking emergency medical care or fleeing danger, homeless people and news media.

Members of the following community groups will also be exempt: A Mother's Love, Center for Multicultural Mediation, Native American Community Development Institute, Corcoran Neighborhood Organization, T.O.U.C.H Outreach, Change Equals Opportunity, Restoration Inc. and We Push For Peace

St. Paul, Brooklyn Center, Columbia Heights, Crystal, Maple Grove, and Robbinsdale will also be under curfew Tuesday night from 10 p.m. through until 6 a.m. Wednesday. Champlin's curfew begins Tuesday at 7 p.m., and Brooklyn Park's starts at 8 p.m.

Authorities say 40 people were arrested overnight in the Twin Cities for breaking curfew, fighting with police and attempted burglary during the second night of protests and unrest following Wright's death. Officials say that some officers were hit with debris while clashing with demonstrators; a few suffered "minor injuries."

RELATED: Fmr. President Obama On Daunte Wright Shooting: 'A Reminder Of Just How Badly We Need To Reimagine Policing'

Wright was pulled over for expired tabs Sunday afternoon, according to Police Chief Tim Gannon, and after officers learned of a warrant for his arrest, they asked him to exit his vehicle. Body camera footage released Monday showed Wright try to get back into his car after an officer attempted to handcuff him.

Now-former officer Kim Potter pulled out her gun and pointed it at Wright while yelling "Taser," the video shows. She then shot Wright before saying, "Holy s**t, I just shot him."

RELATED: 'Holy S**t, I Just Shot Him': Chief Believes Officer Kim Potter Meant To Use Taser In Fatal Shooting Of Daunte Wright

Potter resigned from her position on Tuesday morning, effective immediately, and the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating Wright's death. Brooklyn Center Chief of Police Tim Gannon also tendered his resignation.

The incident resulted in clashes between protesters and police Sunday night. Looting and unrest also spilled into Minneapolis.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.