Watch CBS News

Chemical Leak Caused St. Louis Park Health Club Evacuation

ST. LOUIS PARK, Minn. (WCCO) – Authorities said a popular Twin Cities fitness club was evacuated Friday morning after a report of a chemical leak in the facility.

Officials had said it was to reopen to guests by mid-day Friday.

Emergency crews were called to the Lifetime Fitness health club on the 5500 block of Cedar Lake Road in St. Louis Park sometime after 8 a.m. The club is located near the popular West End, which is filled with restaurants and shops and is a high-traffic area.

Authorities said at least three people at the scene were given medical attention after complaining of scratchy throats, and one person was treated and released from HCMC after a possible allergic reaction.

NewsRadio 830 WCCO's Susie Jones Reports

Lifetime Evacuation

The Hopkins Fire Department Chemical Assessment Team determined that the leak was related to pool cleaning chemicals, but chlorine was not the culprit. The incident happened during a routine cleaning of one of the gym's whirlpools.

Patrons and employees were evacuated to a nearby Metro Transit bus until late morning. Officials said about 100 people were inside the health club when the incident happened.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.