'There Ain't Been No Justice': Advocates For Jamar Clark Call For $20M Death Settlement
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) -- Jamar Clark's family is still trying to settle with Minneapolis more than three years after he was shot and killed by police.
The two sides met behind closed doors Tuesday.
A judge ordered the city into mediation earlier this month following the landmark $20 million settlement with the family of Justine Ruszczyk Damond. The Clark family believes Jamar's life is also worth $20 million.
Mediation went late into the afternoon, but there is still no agreement.
"It isn't just money for the family. It's something for the community entirely. But since the city offered nothing today, you can tell we're far apart," Clark family attorney John Dornik said.
"Throughout the day, my council colleagues and I have been involved in discussions. And while the court schedule will continue, we could also continue with those discussions," said Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey.
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman didn't press charges against the officers involved in Jamar's fatal shooting. The 24-year-old was shot in November 2015 during a struggle with two officers, and later died.
READ MORE: Timeline Of The Jamar Clark Case
Freeman called the shooting justified, and said DNA evidence from Jamar was found on the officer's gun. His death sparked weeks of protest outside Minneapolis Police's Fourth Precinct building.
Jamar's family sued Minneapolis in 2017. Earlier this month, the Minneapolis City Council rejected a settlement proposal that was agreed on by both parties.
"It seem like they just trying to kick our case under the rug, you know, and go to something else," said James Clark, Jamar's father. "There ain't been no justice, you know, since this happened."
The rejection came just days after the $20 million settlement was awarded to the family of police shooting victim Justine Ruszczyk Damond, who was shot and killed in 2017 after she had called 911 to report a possible assault behind her home.
An attorney for the Clark family said they brought up the $20 million figure Tuesday, but that they never had an offer from the city.
While both parties said they are open to finding a solution, it appears this case will head to trial. The judge said motion to trial will be submitted at a later date.
for more features.